Blackstone griddle seasoning

Kovac

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Oje
We bought this riddle just over 3 years ago and we absolutely love it.
I seasoned it properly with linseed oil. If I remember I did six coats.
To clean it I only use water and clean rag right after grilling while it's still piping hot. When it's warm to the touch I add a layer of cooking oil.
Grill surface it's now completely black and it works really good, nothing really sticks to it.
What I noticed surface gets scratched with spatulas but not all the way to the bare metal, almost like it's scratching and flaking off seasoning layers.
My question is if this is normal wear and tear or I should remove it and reseason again. If so what's the best way of doing it.

Thank you so much in advance....

Attachments

• 20211223_175432.jpg
    20211223_175432.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 20211223_175449.jpg
    20211223_175449.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 20211223_175511.jpg
    20211223_175511.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 204
That's all normal. As Mike T said, just scrape it off and keep cooking. Over time, the seasoning will build up to a point where all the dark black seasoning will stay. Don't worry about the flaking stuff as that isn't good seasoning anyways as it has not adhered to the grill surface and you don't want that in your food. It's all good - keep cooking!

That's what I thought, but every time you look at one of those videos on YouTube, their griddles look really nice and smooth.
As long as those flakes are safe and okay if some of them get on food, because there's always few that might flake away...

When I was 16 and flipping burgers at Henrys' Hamburgers at end of night we threw some fryer oil on the flat top and scrubbed with a grill stone until the days grunge was in the drip tray, then another ladle of grease for overnight.
Ed

Back