Big Green Eggs

Big George's BBQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
George
For the past several years I have ignore that my gasket needed to be replaced I was always able to hold my temps for low and slow and high heat cooks. However over the past few days I have not been able to hold the temp down to cook some fatties- wanted 150* After 1/2 hour it was at 230* I know there have been posts like this before but I could use some gasket replacement help Thanks in advance

Grab a 5/8 Rutland high heat flat gasket. (Not the rope) There is a forum member on the BGE Egghead Forum that has sold 4,000 of them throughout the years. It's the go to gasket. The gasket is only needed on the base. (No gasket on dome) The adhesive you use for the gasket is Permatex Ultra Copper.

I've used them on 7 different Big Green Eggs. They're good stuff.

Last edited:
I gasket both sides of my egg and use the BGE brand. Use a blade or wood chisel to remove old gasket, wipe surface down with acetone and simply apply the new gasket. Let it sit for 24 hours before use. I do this about once per year.

Hi George,

I recently replaced my 8 year old Rutland gasket with the Hi Que gasket. Very easy to do after scraping, removing old adhesive with acetone, etc.

I know it's an additional expense, but I also replaced the BGE bands with the new style which corrects the over/under bite, is much easier to open and close and the dome fits perfectly flat on the base so no leaks.

Bill

I don't use my Primo Oval XL perhaps 20 times per year now. I used this 4-5 years ago and it's just now needing to be considered for replacement. Last time I used this the best I remember. Bottom gasket only is all I have ever replaced in what, 12 years? At least that is what I remember the box looking like.
Prep work, install, close lid and allow to sit to set gasket for 5-7 days has worked best in my oval

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Gas...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

PS: The Rutland 5/8 Flat Gasket is on Amazon.

Last edited:
Back