THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which is the best primary fuel for the BGE?

In general, lump charcoal is the best. Brickettes create so much ash that they will clog up a BGE.

Your best brand is dependent on what you can buy locally and what brand suits your cooking style the best. I burn a lot of Humphrey's, because it's pretty good and always available 1 mile from my house.

When I cook a lot of food, I go with Wicked Good Charcoal. It's so dense I get a few hours of extra cooking time on the same volume of charcoal.

In general, lump charcoal is the best. Brickettes create so much ash that they will clog up a BGE.

Your best brand is dependent on what you can buy locally and what brand suits your cooking style the best. I burn a lot of Humphrey's, because it's pretty good and always available 1 mile from my house.

When I cook a lot of food, I go with Wicked Good Charcoal. It's so dense I get a few hours of extra cooking time on the same volume of charcoal.

I second the humphrys that's what i use in my keg, stumps, and wsm, royal oak on occasion, but prefer the humphrys.

Thank you for your responses, the only issue that i have now it's the price, i don't want to overpaid, i quoted a large bge, only the grill, here in tucson for $809.00 + tax $200 dollars more than a BSK

Which is the best primary fuel for the BGE?

Lump is best...(and recommended)...:thumb:

Thank you for your responses, the only issue that i have now it's the price, i don't want to overpaid, i quoted a large bge, only the grill, here in tucson for $809.00 + tax $200 dollars more than a BSK

I recommend getting a platesetter as well for indirect cooking and smoking. Call around some dealers in your area for the best price. Click HERE for a couple of dealers in Tucson...:p

Have fun! :thumb:

Large Egg.

NOKview2rev3.jpg

See it?
You have a beautiful place there in VA

the ceramic cooker I think has a definite advantage. After the ceramic gets "charged" with heat, it radiates back ... you get 3 types of cooking at once ... direct (I think this would be conduction), convection (if using platesetter) and radiant from the ceramic. I really think this is the secret of the thing.

You have a beautiful place there in VA

Sorry to mislead you but that's not my place. I got that pic from "The New Outdoor Kitchen" book and I'm modeling my outdoor kitchen by that one. That one is actually the author's personal kitchen. I wrote her and asked permission to use the pics.

That one is 10x10'. I'm going to make mine 12x12' because that's the biggest outdoor building I can build and not need a building permit.

I only have access where i live to mezquite charcoal, does this work well with this kind of grills??
I have been using a mesquite lump charcoal in my keg and it works great. Very little ash and easy to control temp.

Back