Best way to transport 800lb smoker?

margareedaville

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
margareedaville
Hi all! Long time reader and I have a question. I'm gonna be making a 350 mile trek to pick up a custom pit built on casters. I'm going to rent a u-haul utility trailer with a ramp. I have straps, but I'd like to know if you have any other tips to keep this thing from tipping or moving. Assuming the trailer floor is aluminum, I don't think I can screw down chocks to keep it from rolling. Any other advice is much appreciated!

My first Shirley was 1500lbs and delivered on a UHaul trailer with just ratchet straps. Don't drive like you stole it and you'll be fine.

Do a 4 point strap, where each wheel area has a strap pulling at a 45 angle and you should be good to go. You could put one extra strap over the top if you want. If the castors lock, then set them to not roll, otherwise I wouldn’t worry about it. You will need help pushing it in and getting it out of the trailer.

Last edited:
I agree with the way Chester says - it is the way equipment it tied down. I would put one over the top to keep it from tipping as well as the four corners.

One thing I would recommend is to use "good" ratchet straps (the 1½", 3" or 4") not the ¾" or 1" that always seem to be on sale at Harbor Freight - HF does sell the wider straps and they work just fine.

I agree with the way Chester says - it is the way equipment it tied down. I would put one over the top to keep it from tipping as well as the four corners.

One thing I would recommend is to use "good" ratchet straps (the 1½", 3" or 4") not the ¾" or 1" that always seem to be on sale at Harbor Freight - HF does sell the wider straps and they work just fine.

Good advise on the straps. Don’t get the el cheapo straps. I have a nice set of Mac tie down straps that I use to haul my side by side, small tractor and zero turn around. You won’t need that level of strap, but a decent set is worth it. Mac makes some good utility straps. The ratchets on the macs never bend up and they last. These are the Cadillac’s of the ratchet straps world.
https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/

There are other good straps less than Mac’s. Just don’t get the 4 pack for $10, or you will be sorry.

Agree on the tie down strategy and on Mac’s straps. I use their straps and wheel nets for my sxs’s and atv’s and there simply isn’t a better ratchet strap on the market imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Use cardboard or towels under straps to keep them from rubbing your smoker, then tighten down the ratchet straps more than you think is needed. Tight straps stay in place with no movement, loose straps continue to loosen. Drive twenty or thirty miles, pull over, and see if anything has changed and correct as needed. If all is good after twenty or thirty miles, chances are it will stay that way the entire journey.

I drove a 1,000 pound Lone Star Grillz Large IVS from Houston to Dallas this way and it worked out. Some loosening initially that was corrected and stayed good.

Check your straps often. They tend to stretch. Do the" circle of safety " at every stop. Make sure any lid can't open and grates don't rattle like crazy. Check any nuts fir tightness...like on dampers, maybe. Thermos are screwed in tight.

I transport my MMS G20 (720lbs) in a 5x9 UHaul with ramp. Mine has the 4 tiedowns on the top corners. I use really good ratchet straps I got from the orange home improvement store. Never had an issue.

Keep an eye on the size of the casters though. If they're tiny you may want to get plywood sheets to roll it up on. My smoker has big pneumatic wheels, and I still use a piece of plywood to get it from the driveway onto the trailer.

Back