Best Value Kamado????

Little Pig Barbeque

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Jesse Robinson
I've had a few questions about some of my cookers, so I decided to do a review on one of my absolute favorites. It is also one of the cheapest, which is definately a plus. Check out the video below if you're interested and give me a sub while your there!

https://youtu.be/kX6i_GmgyXU

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Akorn

Edit:watched the video and I was right.
I love mine! I own a summit and a Kamado Joe. I'm definately not knocking those two cookers, but the Akorn cooks just as good and is a fraction of the cost. People wanting to venture into the kamado world should definitely give it a look.

I live in Kentucky also and may sell another Large big green egg with the nest, plate setter, stock grate and cast iron grate.

I love mine! I own a summit and a Kamado Joe. I'm definately not knocking those two cookers, but the Akorn cooks just as good and is a fraction of the cost. People wanting to venture into the kamado world should definitely give it a look.

I agree 100%. I loved my akorn. I've convinced 3 other people to get the exact same thing. However, my ash pan has rusted out. My father in law's ash pan rusted out after about 3 years and literally fell off the smoker. And there's no question at all that my Big Joe holds temp head & shoulders better than the akorn.

I loved my akorn because it's what got me into smoking meats. It was my gateway smoker. AMAZING bang for the buck. But there are better bangs out there.

I own this set up. Primo Ceramic Charcoal Smoker Grill On Cart With Side Tables - Oval Xl https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BKX1WJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mL6rFbWFEPE0H

It’s Made In USA. It’s Oval. I think I own every accessory available. Most accessories are still in box ie: cast iron grates-rib rack etc. You buy them separately. Warranties differ among the round ceramic cookers-BGE-Kamado Jo-Primo-etc. My son owns a Vision- My two friends and All my relatives and acquaintances, I’m the only one with a Primo. Most of theirs (round ceramic cookers) sit idle and they’ve graduated to Pellet Cookers. At one time or another they’ve all expressed they wished BGE made an Oval Cooker. I’ve owned BGE&Akorn+20 others. I think the Akorn was one of the best grills I’ve owned.
Again if you go Ceramic Kamado Cooker Route. Study the company’s warranty. They differ.
My hang up not yours. I believe Kamado Cookers are Ceramic, not steel not aluminum nor iron. That doesn’t mean they aren’t fantastic cookers, it’s just when I, me personally is told by someone that they have a Kamado, I think Ceramic. No need nor expectations of anyone else to think that way.

Made In USA-Oval shape=best value IMHO

Last edited:
I was going to say Primo Oval as well - it's in a category of its own due to the shape. I use mine multiple times a week and the shape makes it really versatile. True 2 zone grilling, a large amount of usable space when using the whole charcoal basket as a grill or smoker, added real estate using the 2nd tier raised racks. All of those things allow me to use it in a way that I could not with any of the other kamados I owned (BGE, Akorn, Vision) so for me that provides a lot of "value" - they're not cheap though.

From the standard round kamado perspective, I'd say an Akorn or a Vision (especially if you can get one on sale end of year for $200ish). The warranty is a differentiator between them, but I found the Vision to be of good quality and I got it on sale at Sam's for a couple hundred bucks. Akorns are good little grills, they're extremely well insulated and that makes them very efficient. They're priced commensurate with their build quality and longevity, IMO. Eventually they'll probably rust out or start to show their age and you might have to buy a new one but if kept covered I don't see why you couldn't get 3-5 years of regular use.

I also love my primo xl and have every accessory and use them all. My primo gets weekly use but I wouldn’t consider it a “value” kamado. My cousin got a vision kamado which I thought was a great value and he loves it but the more he uses it the more he’s envious of my primo!

Back