THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

willwillx

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
william
Looking for something i can put in the back of the truck for a road trip. I was looking at the red box smoker. But, it seemed like it was in the price range i was looking for. I also saw a pellet, but i was looking for something with more smoke flavor. Right now i use my gravity-fed assassin not so often because it's such a chore to pull out and set up. So for the right unit, i might even use it at home.. So i'm often using my zgrill, although i am about done with it with how it always catches fire.

You might want to consider a Smoke Daddy "Heavy D" they work fantastic with pellet smokers. If you use it correctly, it will give you the same flavor as a stick burner with less hassle.

Problem is finding logs locally. Home depot sells Hickory and Mesquite. You can use chunks but they burn up too fast. Dimentions are around 8 inches long and 3 inches by 3 inches wide, Maybe 4 x 4 wide.
I personally prefer Oak , but its hard to find in my area, and online is way too over priced.
What i do is mix Oak chunks with Hickory logs. It much cheaper then trying to buy oak logs online. Ace Hardware sells Post Oak chunks for reasonable price.

Last edited:
Weber kettle with Slow N Sear? WSM? CampChef Pursuit 20?

Pellet grills should never have grease fires by design. Is something wrong with the Z-Grill or are you putting food past the drip tray? Or is it having hopper fires?

WSM?
Smoker and braai in one. Sorry grill, too used to calling any form of bbq a braai ;)
The 14.5 is real versatile.
Depends on number of people you want/need to feed.

Weber kettle with Slow N Sear? WSM? CampChef Pursuit 20?

Pellet grills should never have grease fires by design. Is something wrong with the Z-Grill or are you putting food past the drip tray? Or is it having hopper fires?

I think it's because i don't clean the drip area enough, it's happening on the heat diffuser plate when i am cooking at 350 or so. I set a water tray over the holes to catch the grease to try and stop it from happening, it didn't happen for 2 hours tonight after i was letting one piece finish

For me it is our PKGo from PKGrills. It is portable, fairly small, can cook indirect, direct, and can also be split in half and used like a hibachi for double the cooking space. It would be tight for ribs, a butt or brisket, but could be done.

I like the Weber kettle premium (the one with the ash bucket) modified with 1 inch curtain rods for legs just long enough to remove the ash pan. Bungee straps to keep the lid on for travel. I can do everything I do at home and I grill and smoke anything I can fit on my kettles.

Thanks for all the tips. I think i am going to go with the WSM 18. At under 40 pounds, i think it's something i can add to the rv without much issue when i get an rv heh. For now, it will just go in the truck bed. Seems like my best option for getting smoke flavor in a portable format and i can grill on it as well.

I bought the GMG Trek for camping, fits in the bed of the truck and runs off a 12v battery if needed. I have a 18" WSM but it's more then I want to deal with when camping.

If you liked the Red Box, I didn't see it readily available anywhere other than a sketchy website that I wouldn't order from. They must have quit making it.

Found a similar box- the Big Woods Smoker, but it's $700.

https://www.bwcooking.com/products/big-woods-smoker

It's also on Ebay.

What do you mean? Mark still sells it straight from his website: https://ssomd.com/products/red-box-smoker. I picked one up about a year ago, it's great though I prob don't use it as much as I should. But it's awesome for traveling.

As for OP -- I'd say the Red Box is a solid choice for an RV, but you'll want to master high temp cooking with the deflector plate (with fins). My personal recommendations would be:

• Red Box
  • WSM-14
  • Mini WSM (Smokey Joe conversion project)
  • WSM-18

Portable RV Smoker

I use the AKORN Jr. Kamado Charcoal Grill made by Chargriller. Costs under $200. It essentially is a Little Green Egg but made out of insulated metal. 14" cooking diameter and @40 pounds. Fits nicely in the front storage compartment of my fifth wheel. I use lump with wood chunks. Been using for a few years with no problems. Smokes pretty well.

Back