Belated Christmas Prime Rib Photos

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
I'm sure y'all are tired of the Prime Rib photos by now. Been busy. Figured I'd throw mine up any ways.

Started with a 5 pound, Prime grade, Prime Rib from HEB that I bought a week before the holiday. Heavily K-salted the outside, vacuum sealed it, and put it in the fridge. Morning of, I took it out of the bag and trimmed some of the excess fat. I did a bunch of reading at Amazing Ribs, and decided to remove the bones and tie it up.

IMG_3625_zpsb9pxhdqr.jpg

Peeled a head of garlic, chopped the cloves up, and added that and some black pepper to a lot of room temperature butter. No more salt added.
Smeared that all over the roast and sprinkled a little more black pepper on top.

IMG_3626_zpsmnftqbgg.jpg

Got the WSCG fired up and running low and slow using the SnS, put the roast on, and added the bones on for the dogs. Hey, it's their Christmas too...

IMG_3628_zpsbxi5hllr.jpg

WSCG settled in pretty well...

IMG_3629_zpsbvdz9pdd.jpg

Added a small chunk of cherry and it was looking nice about an hour in.

IMG_3631_zps2ykrbjbq.jpg

Almost done about 3.5 hours in. I liked the color, and decided to forgo the direct sear. Since the wife prefers more of a medium, I decided to pull it around 135*.

IMG_3632_zpsc6yjefcv.jpg

IMG_3633_zpshtkuwrru.jpg

Looks good and resting while I finish up the last sides.

IMG_3634_zpswvc1zcj7.jpg

Cooked how I expected it (due to the wife's request), and look at all those little marbling pockets.

IMG_3635_zps97j9hbf6.jpg

My plate. Inside piece, a little closer to rare, served with Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes, the wife's favorite Green Bean Casserole (with some added French's Fried Jalapenos for a little kick, first time seeing / trying them, they were alright), some Au Jus, homemade Horseradish Sauce, and a biscuit. Even see a little smoke ring there.

IMG_3636_zpsatldwqav.jpg

It was all good, no matter what the wife says. Maybe a little too much garlic? Nah... The pups even got dressed up in their holiday finest for the meal.

25593923_1347740255337819_2886638903565931670_n_zps852g0bot.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Thanks y'all.

Clay, they just added a little kick every couple bites. Nothing serious...

Absolutely awesome. No deductions for the temp...gotta make the Mrs. happy! Well done.

Delicious looking meal.I agree with NOT searing a prime rib.All it does is burn the seasonings you apply pre sear.IF and only IF you MUST sear,apply salt only,sear first,rest,reseason then Roast as you did.Outstanding!:clap:

Back