THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smokin' D

is Blowin Smoke!
icon1.gif
Beef Short Ribs with Pastrami Spices
I did these once on the gasser and they were tasty but TOUGH. So thought I'd try them on the drum. Got about 5 lbs of beef short ribs, made up a pastrami-ish
wet rub: coriander, pepper, star anise, brown mustard seed, brown sugar garlic salt and oil. Rubbed up the ribs and let them sit over night.
Here they are right before going on the smoker.
P7120120.jpg

Cooked them directly over the coals for about 10 minutes, took them off and let the drum settle back to 250* and smoked for two hours. Here they are at that point.
P7120125.jpg

I then put them in an aluminum pan with some of the mop and foiled tightly for another hour. They came out fall off the bone tender. My 9 year old said they were TOO tender, but his friend just pointed and nodded his head when I asked if he would like some more. These things were delicious. Sorry, no plated pics. This recipe is from Raichlins, Ribs, Ribs, Ribs book.
Question. With pork ribs the goal is tender but not fall off the bone. What are the opinions out there regarding beef ribs? Fall off the bone or with a little tug?

Back