THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Although you can do hi-temp pork butt cooks, I prefer 225 - 250 range, for 12+ hours, till 203 IT range and probe tender. Some have gone as long as 16 hours, for me.

So, I'm new here, but not new to BBQ. I started out smoking Boston butts, and I always recommend starting with them if you are new to BBQ. Pork shoulders are very forgiving, and have a meat thermometer built in (if you buy a bone in). Chicken is a little cheaper, but getting the skin done correctly can be challenging. The main thing is to BBQ what you like to eat, and learn from mistakes.

I buy pork shoulders from Sam's club all the time, and have been really happy with the results. In fact, I'm getting ready to buy a case of pork shoulders from Sam's club in the near future. You can find case sales on thier website.

I have only used a WSM a couple times, and that was years ago, so I don't have any real tips on running the WSM. You might want to look into getting a temperature controlling device like a BBQ Guru if you want to leave it unattended for awhile. Or you can smoke it for about 4 hrs, and then finish it in the oven. I would recommend getting a disposable pan if you are going to finish it in the oven.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Back