BBQ Jamboree in Fredericksburg, is this normal?

I am glad this info is being shared. I was considering making this event our new teams first competition, ended up that Palmayra VA will be in June.

I am, by no means, against safe food handling, but it seems the HD in VA make even the simplest task painfull. Is it just me that sees this ? Is it like this elsewhere in the country ?

I am hearing this about food trucks too. And don't even think about a roadside stand for the weekend type thing.

Anyway, good luck to all those competing in this event and hope to meet some of you in June.

For the record, two of my emails were not returned and so that's part of the reason I posted here, to see if there was more information or if I was missing something. I also added in my original post that this was not a rant against the organizer.

This is now the third different time I've heard about the cook's meeting (and I emailed that very question, unanswered to the organizer). I've already got a teammate rearranging his whole schedule to be there Friday morning for an 11:00am cook's meeting and then get us set up for a HD inspection at 3:00.

We're not two days from the cook's meeting and still haven't been told the official time. It's posted on the web site at two different times and now Boshizzle says it's "around 5:00". First comp or not, we're jumping through hoops and paying a lot of money to compete, at least gives us the rules! Since I'm getting more info here than by contacting the organizers, I'm sticking with that approach.

None of those have I seen.

Never "had" to supply a people's choice meat. It's not part of KCBS contest. They higher encourage, but if you can't do it, you can't. Some times never had the extra room in the smoker.

Health Dept? Okay, I've heard that threat before, but they were never on site. One year they wanted everyone to have enclosed tents around the food or they were going to cancel the event -- it took the Mayor's office having to step in. If everyone hasn't taken food safety training, brining their certificates and complying with them, then chose not to "serve" the public. So they're picking and chosing their rules (probably just to make $$$ off the event).

Cooks Meeting. Normally 5,6,7 early Friday evening. You'd never had the teams at a meeting that early. I'd just skip the meeting and get my trays from the rep. It's not mandatory.

Back