BBQ Guru Probes.

Beanbuzz

Has anyone found any alternative probes for the Gurus? Tired of purchasing their overpriced short lived probes that don’t last.

I don't have an alternative for you but I have to wonder why you have so many failures. I've pretty much moved on from Bbq Guru (not because of probe issues) but I didn't have a probe failure during several years of use.

From my experience with similar probes/cables and from what I've heard from others, probe failures are usually caused by immersing the cables in liquid, bending the cable too sharply, pinching the cable, strain where the cable enters the probe or plug, or exposing the probe or cable to too high of a temperature.

One issue I did have with the guru probes was not getting a good connection when plugging the cable into the controller, either due to not getting it fully inserted or (I assume) oxidation on the plug or in the socket. This caused the reported temperature to be wrong or inconsistent. I got into the habit of twisting the plug in the socket as I inserted and making sure it was completely seated and that pretty much eliminated those issues.

There is a guy that sells probes that he makes on eBay that are cheaper. The pit probe works fine. I didn't really like the meat probes that he sells.

I fought BBQ guru probes for years and finally quit. I got a fireboard a year ago and I love it. The probes are way better and you can use thermoworks probes with it as well. You can also use the BBQ guru fan with the fireboard.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Back