BBQ Guru CyberQ II

pigpen

I recently purchased this unit and am having trouble connecting to my PC. My computer will not recognize it as a USB device. I presume the problem is due to the fact I am running Windows 7. Has anyone around these parts had any luck getting the CyberQ II to connect to a PC running Windows 7? Thanks!

I recently purchased this unit and am having trouble connecting to my PC. My computer will not recognize it as a USB device. I presume the problem is due to the fact I am running Windows 7. Has anyone around these parts had any luck getting the CyberQ II to connect to a PC running Windows 7? Thanks!

Did you ever get this running? They have specific directions on their website on how to load it, and the most recent manual as has directions. I have a PDF copy of the manual if you want one.

My Guru arrives on Tuesday and I'll test it then.

make sure you have the latest version of the desktop application for the DigiQ.. You can go to the BBQGURU website and download it.

I have my CyberQ II connected to a Windows 7 machine.

am attempting to run on a forty foot USB extention cable and maybe having a few isses with that. Is anyone runnig a CyberQ II with Windows 7, wifh version 1.04 on an extenstion USB cable of any kind?

I have my CyberQ II connected to a Windows 7 machine.

am attempting to run on a forty foot USB extention cable and maybe having a few isses with that. Is anyone runnig a CyberQ II with Windows 7, wifh version 1.04 on an extenstion USB cable of any kind?

40 feet? Theres an issue right there. Try a standard 6 foot usb cable and see if its recognized. USB carries a +5V DC power wire and 40 feet is a long ways for it to work correctly. After 18 feet, they need to be amplified. Below is a link to some solutions to help you get this going:

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Extenders.html

I use a 33 foot USB extended cable from monoprice with my cyberq 2 and have no issues (running windows vista)

40 feet? Theres an issue right there. Try a standard 6 foot usb cable and see if its recognized. USB carries a +5V DC power wire and 40 feet is a long ways for it to work correctly. After 18 feet, they need to be amplified. Below is a link to some solutions to help you get this going:

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Extenders.html

Haltech, you are correct that USB carries 5V at 500ma. Most of the extenders steal some of those ma's to boost the signal. But a couple of important things to note about the CyberQ II unit.

1. It is a powered unit and does not, according to someone I spoke with at BBQ Guru, get any of it's needed power from the USB connection. It is in fact a 12 volt device and has it's own power supply.

2. The CyberQ II is emulating RS-232 communication over USB. Which is an odd combination and probably less reliable than the new true USB spec.

3. My forty foot extension has a powered hub with it's own power supply. This provides a clean signal to the hub, and a clean signal and full power to the device. It is rated at a full 2.0 spec including transmission speeds and was designed for the professional photographer.

I appreciate the link and will go out there and read.

It has run today for seven hours without an error.

gtsum, what version of the CyberQ II software are you running?

looks like 1.01 - heck, I dont even have the most recent one it looks like (I have only had it since december also). I have yet to have an issue on maybe 20 cooks using the 33 foot USB cable I have - never had a lock up or a dropped signal, etc, so I am pretty happy with how it works

My issues have been solved and I'm running the unit on a forty foot extension cable from www.usbfirewire.com without a hitch.

Between the extension cable and the six foot cable I can use my main computer in the house and run a cable out to the cooker.

Really happy with this setup.

Back