THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gowan

is One Chatty Farker
For those of you in the Bartow County, NW Georgia area who are looking for a fun backyard contest, take a look here: http://www.adairsvillefestivals.com/

It's a non-sanctioned event where you cook three meats plus People's Choice. Blind judging in the KCBS style pays $1000 total, while PC pays half of the cook fees collected. That fee is an incredibly low $25 - I've never seen such a low entry fee.

This is a downtown festival being held in the same location as the Great Locomotive Chase Festival if you have ever attended that. Space for about 20 teams, with limited power and water available. More flexibility than at a sanctioned contest, but with serious judging - come give it a try!

Gowan, I had some one that just saw this after seeing the original Facebook post and asked why it was changed from just pork to 4 different meats. They was wanting to know the reason for the change or why it wasn't on the original Facebook post. Can you let me know why a change so I can explain it to them and maybe convince them that its not a bad thing to cook different meats and for them to enter? I have already tried to convenience them that the more meat categories the better chance at walking but they are just hung up on the information being different.

Hi Adam!
Great to see you are out there cooking still.

I haven't seen the post you are referencing, but I'm going to assume it was referring to the People's Choice part of the event, which is still just pork.

I was recruited by the event organizer to help out with the contest aspects of the event just this week. She gave me the list of meats and I helped her work out how the judging and people's choice voting would be done. I'm confident that we will be able to run this contest in as professional manner as possible within the scope of a non-sanctioned backyard event.

This is a first time for the City of Adairsville to hold a barbecue festival, so please bear with them as they work through the rather significant learning curve. They realized quickly that they needed someone with experience to produce a successful festival. That led them to hiring the same promoter that has worked on the Euharlee show the last few years, and she asked me to lend a hand with the contest end.

The blind judging portion of the competition was added because of cook team feedback that they wanted something more than just the People's Choice. However, if a team decided they only want to compete in the People's Choice event, there is nothing to prevent them from doing so. We would encourage all teams to enter the blind judging portion of the contest so that they will be eligible to win additional prize money, but participation in the People's Choice contest is the only portion that is required.

Hope that clears things up. If anyone has additional questions, feel free to contact me through this forum or directly by email or phone.

-GF

Back