Barbacoa at home

I do not believe the head meat in San Francisco comes tucked into a taco. :twisted:

I can't stand it! This is a cruel thread. Cruel, I tell ya! I'm missing S.TX. so badly right now! That looks delicious - thanks for the explanation. I've had it several times, but never really knew how it was prepared.

Dang Mark, looks wonderful! Thanks for posting this....now I'm going to look for cheek meat here. :biggrin:

great post. I too have been finding myself staring at the cheek meat packages at my local HEB... wondering how to turn that into delicious barbacoa.

What a great post - thanks for taking the time. Now on the basis of the other thread, is this Tex-Mex or Mexican:mrgreen::mrgreen: Love the final plating - looks good enough to eat.
Well... technically (as mentioned above) it is barbacoa de cabeza (head barbecue), as there are other dishes in Mexico with barbacoa in the name, and there are other dishes cooked that way that aren't called barbacoa. I know it's confusing, but like idioms in any language, you just have to get it by osmosis. I'd call it Mexican, but on the whole, generally there is less beef used in Mexiacan fod than in Tex-Mex. Lots of pork, chicken fish and mmmmm - cabrito!

I do not believe the head meat in San Francisco comes tucked into a taco. :twisted:
I don't believe it would get anywhere near a taco. :icon_shy

Dang Mark, looks wonderful! Thanks for posting this....now I'm going to look for cheek meat here. :biggrin:
I could not aspire to higher praise - to have cowgirl want to try one of mine!
(instead of the much more common vice-versa)

"Here is 3 lbs. of today's batch headed for the freezer."

No pun intended! Seriously that looks pretty good. I would like to try it and then have someone tell me what it really is. I had an experience with cow tongue that tasted pretty good right up to the point where I really looked at the meat. Then I could see the little tongue tentacles and I almost puked.

Excellent thread. I've always wondered about how those little road side stands down there do it. None of my family really knows how to make it, except the old fashioned way.

Now - how bout some real deal Tripas and Menudo recipes? :idea:

Excellent thread. I've always wondered about how those little road side stands down there do it. None of my family really knows how to make it, except the old fashioned way.

Now - how bout some real deal Tripas and Menudo recipes? :idea:

Mmmmm, guts and stomach.........good eats right there. Funny thing is, tripas are now more available than ever and as a result are now a bit more expensive than they once were. Same thing for the tripe. Now I'm hungry!

I don't think I've ever really ever tried Barbacoa. Even when I go down to Mexico (coastal state). What you did there is what we just caa "cabeza". We used to do the whole head and everything , but sometimes the bones got britle and would chip off and in a restaurant environment that's a pain in the butt. So now we use use the "cachetes" beef cheeck and don't have to worry about the bones. We call it cabeza though.. I thought barbacoa was like shredded beef that cooked underground.... I love how you made real authentic tacos with just onions and cilantro. Great job.

Back