Baby Backs Vs Spares: what would you do diff on cook?

Fundango Que

What would you change in your cook for Baby Backs Vs Spares.....if anything?

I typically smoke spares, but picked up a couple of racks of baby backs for tomorrow. I'm thinking of doing them exactly the same way I do spares, but wanted some input from the veterans on here.

Any advice?

I'd put them in a crockpot with some sauerkraut and a jar of unsweetened applesauce. Otherwise, make sure you use a favorable rub and lots of sauce. They are lean and don't have a lot of flavor on their own.

Loinbacks I cook at 235, SL spares I cook at 275. They both usually get done in a little over four hours. And I don't foil either one.

Loinbacks I cook at 235, SL spares I cook at 275. They both usually get done in a little over four hours. And I don't foil either one.
I, for one, would like to hear the details. I never foil, and so I avoid loinbacks as they lack the flavor I am used to from spares. They also always dry out, for me.

At the same cooking temp, BBs will cook up in 45 to 60 minutes less than spares of similar size.

BBs are full of flavor and our favorite rib by far.
Not lean at all as long as the loin meat is properly trimmed.

We won a good amount of $$ cooking them when we competed.

TIM

For me BB's cook about 30 minutes less than St. Louis trimmed spares. Otherwise no difference.

I, for one, would like to hear the details. I never foil, and so I avoid loinbacks as they lack the flavor I am used to from spares. They also always dry out, for me.
I pull the membrane off the back, coat of rub on both sides, let sit on counter for about 20 minutes then put another coat of rub on top and into the smoker. I never look until about 3:45 into the cook, then use a toothpick to probe for tender. When they're close to being done, put a couple 2-3 coats of sauce on during the last 20-30 minutes. Mine always turn out juicy.

WP_20140406_18_39_46_Pro.jpg

I cook both around 250 and the only difference is what rub I use. Spares I usually do KC style and sauce, baby/loin backs I go Memphis and do a dry rub. Otherwise, no difference.

BBs cook quicker with or without foil. Never had either come out dry. I cook them at 300-325.

BBs cook quicker with or without foil. Never had either come out dry. I cook them at 300-325.
Tried cooking some at 300 a little while ago. Turned out pretty good except for a couple pockets of fat that didn't quite render out all the way.

Any problem with sugar in the rub starting to burn at 325? Was thinking of trying a rack at 325.

Tried cooking some at 300 a little while ago. Turned out pretty good except for a couple pockets of fat that didn't quite render out all the way.

Any problem with sugar in the rub starting to burn at 325? Was thinking of trying a rack at 325.

I don't use sugar in my rub. If I want to use sugar I put it in the foil and that is only about 15 minutes or they overcook because of the high temps. The last year or so I have had a couple with big fat pockets. I have started trimming those out. Never had that problem until recently. Should take about 3 hours give or take a little time based on size of the racks.

The only sugar that I use in any of my rubs is Turbinado sugar and it doesn't burn nearly as quickly as regular sugar. The ribs that I mostly do are loin back ribs. They are a lot meatier, but cook the same as baby backs. I cook them at 250-275* for about 3 hours with no foil and they are usually almost done, then I sauce them for 20-30 minutes and they are perfect. My friends and family don't leave much behind. Good luck. Joe

I cook my at same temp and time and always come out great . I smoke for 2 1/2 hours , foil wrap in brown sugar and honey on top and bottom cook another 2 hours , then take out of the foil and back on the smoker sauced for 1/2 hour . here is the baby backs I did today on a off-set smoker .

DSCF6237.jpg

DSCF6240.jpg

FWIW, I often cook both BBs and SLC at the same time. I start by prepping the SLCs, hitting them with rub and putting them on the smoker. Once they are nestled in, I'll clean and prep my BBs, hit them with the same rub and and then into the same smoker. I'll take my time on the BBs so that the SLCs have about a 1 hour head start. Afterwards, ribs come off when their done.

Back