ASMOKE AS300 or wait and pay more for new model AS350?

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
RemoGaggi
I've been looking at the Asmoke AS300, which is $225 (including cover and temp probe) on their website. Today, I see there's a AS350 model coming out later this year that has some extra features. I read online that the new model will likely cost more than the AS300, like maybe $50-$70, but who knows until it comes out. Here's a link to an early review of the new AS350 and the new features. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I98Ai1QBhM4&t=1s

So for those you that have the older AS300 model, do you think it's worth the wait (and price) of the new model or just get the old model while it's still available and the price is right. Thanks!

Most of the improvements in that video don't really seem worth it to me. The handle to adjust the heat shield is something I would never use. The little grate inside the firepot is interesting though. I thought the older version was already being sold with the extended lid as well. Overall, I think the older version is fine and I wouldn't wait or pay extra for this one. This does remind me that I need to fire mine up more often though.

Most of the improvements in that video don't really seem worth it to me. The handle to adjust the heat shield is something I would never use. The little grate inside the firepot is interesting though. I thought the older version was already being sold with the extended lid as well. Overall, I think the older version is fine and I wouldn't wait or pay extra for this one. This does remind me that I need to fire mine up more often though.

I've read there are some people experiencing auger fires and wild heat fluctuations with the AS300. I'm wondering if the fires are due to people not cleaning the old ash from the firepot and as for the temp fluctuations, sound like the RTD temp probe is bad.

Just wondering if you've experienced any issues with yours. BTW, the extended lid is shown as sold out, but for about $220 it will come with a cover and food temp probe. Thanks.

I have never had any problems with my ASmoke, but I am sure others have used theirs more than I have. I bought a buckethead vac from Home Depot and I clean the ash out after every cook. I also never ran the ASmoke pellets in my smoker as I heard that they produced a ton of ash. As far a temp goes my unit does overshoot the set temp initially, but I think that is normal. If I set it to 300 it might run to 350 before settling back down to 300. It is predictable and hasn't caused any issues for me.

The ash/steam tray and the grate inside the burning pot are the only meaningful add-ons to my mind and I can easily live without them. I always thought that if they just ran the grates horizontally instead of vertically, you could easily access the chamber and move the heat shield back and forth with a metal probe or your thongs. Instead they added the protruding push/pull rod and as mentioned you would likely never need it.
I have cooked on mine several times and found the temperature probes (both the food and chamber) to be quite accurate. Never had a problem with flareups etc. I don't think the "improvements" are meaningful and would opt for the 300.

I have never had any problems with my ASmoke, but I am sure others have used theirs more than I have. I bought a buckethead vac from Home Depot and I clean the ash out after every cook. I also never ran the ASmoke pellets in my smoker as I heard that they produced a ton of ash. As far a temp goes my unit does overshoot the set temp initially, but I think that is normal. If I set it to 300 it might run to 350 before settling back down to 300. It is predictable and hasn't caused any issues for me.

I noticed that the new AS350, the slider on the heat deflector is also slotted, while the slider on the AS300 is solid. I have a feeling the slotted slider will allow much more heat up the center and possibly creating a hot spot. I think I'll go with the AS300.

First used my 300 yesterday, since this thread started. I did this 10# butt (11 hours smoke) and it barely fit in the chamber. I tried to place it in the chamber in a tinfoil pan with a grate about one inch high and the lid pressed on the meat. So, I now think that the extra height (6") on the 350 may, indeed be worth the extra money.

Attachments

• Butt.jpg
    Butt.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 59
I’m waiting for the 350 personally. While I could really use it this camping season I’d rather wait for the upgrades on the new version.

Back