Anyone use pre cut St Louis spares

DR

Take a breath!
I went to Travis Clarks class a couple months ago (Excellent class btw…highly recommend it) and he uses spares that are already St Louis cuts instead of buying whole spares and cutting them himself. I asked why and basically he said they already did the work for you and the price difference is insignificant. I have been to another class where (Rod Grey…Another great class btw) he cut them himself.

SO i am wondering who buys them already St Louis cut from the supplier?

THanks,

It's been many a years ago, but when I was at Rodney's class, he used both.:roll:

I buy the best ribs I can find, regardless if I need to trim them or not. Most of the time that I have used St Louis cut, I needed to touch them up some anyways.

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
It's been many a years ago, but when I was at Rodney's class, he used both.:roll:

I buy the best ribs I can find, regardless if I need to trim them or not. Most of the time that I have used St Louis cut, I needed to touch them up some anyways.

This is my strategy. I prefer St Louis cut just to save myself some time, but I'll cook whatever the best racks I find are.

Kind of feel like I am wasting too much if I cut them .never have figured out how to use the trimmings. Seems like a lot of gristle.
Was at restaurant depot today and they had both with about a dollar a pound
Difference. Seemed like about 30 percent on the price which
Looks like a little less than the waste but not much.

Don't know for sure, but there seems to be a few St. Louis cut ribs here

ribangel.jpg

• Thanks
Like what was mentioned above, I prefer St. Louis but if I can't find any that are good I'll get full spares and cut them. I also just throw the trimmings out.

• Thanks
We've just recently started using pre cut ribs, for all the same reasons stated above.

• Thanks
Back