THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
BBQ Mojo
Thinking I am wanting another gravity fed smoker again and wanted another Stump's but since he sold the shop I am looking at other cookers and the T&K catches my eye . Looking at this for doing over night cooks and I know Paul has one but would like to hear from others too on what you think ? what does the plate do were the water pan sit ? is it just a heat diverter and is there air flow space around the plate that heats up the chamber ? also and temp difference from top to bottom and I do not use water so do guys just remove the pan or put a foil pan in to catch the grease ? thanks in advance

The pan actually has rails that keep it just a hair above the heat diverter. Heat travels up the front (door side) and back side of the cook chamber. The plate is welded to the FB and exhaust sides. I foil over the pan to catch drippings. There's enough space to use the pan rails for a 4th rack in a pinch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The pan actually has rails that keep it just a hair above the heat diverter. Heat travels up the front (door side) and back side of the cook chamber. The plate is welded to the FB and exhaust sides. I foil over the pan to catch drippings. There's enough space to use the pan rails for a 4th rack in a pinch.

so with the water pan empty it does not warp running it dry ?

hey Paul does the outside get real hot and what insulation did you get ? I want custom paint and do not want it to burn off , how is your paint holding up ? I am really leaning towards a T&K and my next decision is the small or the medium :doh:

I got the 1" insulation. It's a trade off that you need to think about. It lets you control temps instantly. The bad side is that the outside gets way hotter. My cabinet has 2" and I can lean on it as it's only a little hotter than the outside temp. You don't want to lean against the T&k for more than a few seconds. I had a post or thread where I posted the outside temps. I'm thinking it was in the 140-160 range.

and that just opened a whole new door do I get the thicker steel on the chamber or the thicker insulation ? what would you do ?

I didn't know they offered thicker metal. I was in a hurry and the one in stock was ready to go with more options than I thought I needed. Glad I got the extra options. Especially the diamond plate and I don't even like diamond plate. I don't know that I would worry about metal thickness so much. I mean backwoods are really thin and they seem to last longer than you would think. I really wish some other owners would chime in. Not good to buy just on the experience of 1 person.

they offer 1/8" outer skin for $150 and 2" insulation for $150 and will definitely get the diamond plate top and wish I bought it on my Stump's and glad for your insight Paul and is much appreciated buddy . I thought as many cookers they have sold more people would of chimed in too and there is nothing on you tube , lol .

I owned one but it was a direct flow cabinet, not gravity fed.

I just remembered something annoying. My umbrella holder is too small to fit any of my 3 umbrellas. Maybe he makes them in different sizes. I guess I'll need to go buy a smaller/cheaper umbrella with a skinnier pole...

Back