Any Plumbing/Brass Fitting experts? What type and size is this?

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
RemoGaggi
I picked up a Blue Rhino portable griddle today. It has a removable regulator to use with the little portable propane bottles. I don't ever plan on using the little propane bottles and will always use a standard 20lb propane tank. I figured I could just add a 3/8" flare fitting and get a standard propane hose with regulator. Here's the problem. The male fitting coming out of the griddle is a strange size that I have not seen before. I bought a 3/8" FIP fitting and it was too big. I then tried a 1/4" FIP and it was too small.

I thought about removing the factory male fitting, but it's attached to a metal gas tube that I think will break if I try to remove the fitting. So, I'm back to trying to find the correct fitting to be able to turn this into a 3/8" flare so I can attach a hose & regulator.

Does anyone have any idea what type and size this could be if it's bigger than 1/4" FIP and smaller than 3/8" FIP?

Here's a pic of the long-ass factory regulator attached.

Here's the mystery fitting:

I know I can attach a hose to the existing regulator, but I don't like this thing hanging so far out to the side. I just want to permanently attach a standard propane hose/regulator to it.

Any ideas on what this fitting is? Thanks.

^^ What Mike said.

Take the regulator to a hose / fitting store so they can match it.

Unlikely a big box store will have it

Low pressure so they can come up with something

Take the regulator to a propane dealer or a camping store like Camping World and they should be able to hook you up. That is a specialty gas fitting.

Bob, I already have that hose, but I'm trying to fit the griddle semi-permanently into my backyard kitchen and I don't want to use the long-ass regulator that sticks out to the side.

In that case, best bet would be to take it to a propane place where they can make the new hose, regulator, etc. That is an odd fitting. Plus, they can make the hose at a longer length.

Bob

Not sure why they would design it that way but might be some goofy proprietary fitting.

Call the manufacturer.

Show me the male fitting
Looks like what’s on the Chinese made stuff that comes here

In that case, best bet would be to take it to a propane place where they can make the new hose, regulator, etc. That is an odd fitting. Plus, they can make the hose at a longer length.

Bob
RV sales and storage place near me has solved every propane connection issue I've run across. Set me up with splitters and shutoffs for trailer mounted tanks to run to other burners, and the hose lengths I requested.

You can remove that fitting from that tube, just be careful, then take it down to a place that sells fittings and see if you cant come up with a solution. Chances are it'll be metric but you may find something that'll work. I've had some trouble finding fittings like that locally so then it's onto the internet to find it.

I found this adapter that fits the Blackstone 17", which according to my research also has a strange fitting. I've emailed propanegear.com to make sure the quick-connect fitting can be removed from the blue adapter section and replaced with a 3/8 flare so a standard propane hose/regulator will fit. If so, I think I will return the Blue Rhino and get the Blackstone 17. http://propanegear.com/converta-bp-adapter-compatible-with-17-22-blackstone-griddles/

Last edited:
Most user manuals have an exploded parts diagram/list. Might check that. Also, the suggestion of RV supply (or a marine supply) was a good one.

Back