Another new smoker - BQ Grills VDS (Verticle Direct Smoker)

Let me know if you have any questions or would like to see any other pics.
I'm confused about something. You said the ash pan comes out with the firebox but your pic shows the ash pan still in the smoker with the firebox pulled out. Also, why is the firebox smaller than the grate it is welded to?

One question is, how is attempt from top to bottom? I was curious about that. One more is, can you sear food or will the damper keep you from that?

The temp on the bottom rack was running about 10 degrees hotter in the middle and about 30 degrees hotter on the sides where the heat is coming up around the deflector. On the middle rack the temps had really evened out with just a small difference on one side because I didn't have the trailer level so most of the heat was going to the left side of the smoker. If level I think the temps would essentially have evened out at that point. The top rack was an even temp all the way across. As far as searing, not sure. I only ran it at 325 for the chicken but I know it will certainly get much hotter. You could also pull the heat deflector out if you wanted to get direct heat to sear I guess. I will say the skin on the chicken came out much more crisp than it did on the webers I was using.

I'm confused about something. You said the ash pan comes out with the firebox but your pic shows the ash pan still in the smoker with the firebox pulled out. Also, why is the firebox smaller than the grate it is welded to?

Yeah, the picture does look like the ash pan is still back in the smoker. I should have taken that pic from the side. It actually is out under the charcoal basket. I believe that the firebox is smaller so that it is smaller than the ash pan. With the way the ash pan is mounted in the setup it has to be smaller so the firebox is smaller to make sure it is over the pan. Not sure if that makes sense. I will take more pics of the fire box setup if I get a chance today.

Yeah, the picture does look like the ash pan is still back in the smoker. I should have taken that pic from the side. It actually is out under the charcoal basket. I believe that the firebox is smaller so that it is smaller than the ash pan. With the way the ash pan is mounted in the setup it has to be smaller so the firebox is smaller to make sure it is over the pan. Not sure if that makes sense. I will take more pics of the fire box setup if I get a chance today.
The firebox being smaller to keep all ashes in the pan does make sense. As a matter of fact that is what I was thinking. I was just curious as to why the builder would sacrifice that much real estate though.

ETA: No need for more pics unless you just want to. I went back and looked closer and now see that the ash pan is inside the frame that supports the firebox and pan together. I can see this better now since I am at work and can view it on the 19" screen I have here. The ash pan coming out with the firebox is one of the many reasons that I bought my Lone Star cabinet.

Back