Analogue Temp gauge for DIY build

NZ

Name or Nickame
JP
Hi BBQ'ers

In the early stage of a Hunsaker inspired Drum Smoker, full credit to the Hunsaker team, what a fantastic design. I hope to be different enough that is not a rip of someone else's hard work and experience that's gone in to their great products..

That aside, I do want to put a temp gauge in the exhaust stack, meat temps' will be continuously checked with a digital probe but as a base line temperature indicator I do think the exhaust stack location is as great idea. I'd like that could be calibrated to the it in to an accurate temp' remains to where the meat will be a few inches below on the grate.

So, does anyone have any links to something that's worked for them and would buy again? I'm in New Zealand and Amazon does deliver here, and I'm sure there's plenty of smaller operators out there selling quality products that ship this way, would love to hear what's worked for others.

Disclaimer, first post from a new member but my hands and taste buds have seen some beaut bbq over the years, I've joined up here for the wealth of knowledge and experience that you guys have, wow already loving the taste of some of what I've seen and tried so far.. awesome stuff fellas!

Cheers.

Hi

I realised I hadn't proof read my post and reading it now can see it makes little sense.

I'm currently building an all stainless steel drum smoker based on what I've seen and read about the Hunsaker and a few neat features I've seen on some of the builds on the UDS build thread.

I'm working on the chimney stack currently and it will be either 3" or 4" tube with a slider style gate to regulate flow. I'd be interested to know what others thoughts are on the Tel Tru BQ300 temp gauge, if it was placed in the chimney similar to the Hunsaker? Is it a good gauge and would it be a good choice for this style of temperature monitoring?

I hope to finish the design of parts this week and get them laser cut and I can start on rolling, folding and welding in the coming weeks. I'll be taking photos as I go, happy to post of anyone interested. It's mid winter here so not as much time in the shed as I'd like but can usually find an reason to get out there.

Thanks
Jason

Tel Tru is THE analog thermometer in the US. Every reputable pit builder uses them.

24g4obr.png

• Thanks
Reactions: NZ
Since you want it in the exhaust I'd look at a wood stove chimney thermometer, better suited to the application with a higher heat range.

Since you want it in the exhaust I'd look at a wood stove chimney thermometer, better suited to the application with a higher heat range.

The heat in his chimney shouldn’t be anywhere near wood stove ranges unless he is trying to cook Neapolitan pizzas in a drum.

Tel-tru is definitely the brand to use. They make the best bi-metal thermometers for a variety of uses and temp ranges, not just BBQ.

Interesting idea, keep us posted on the outcome. My drums started with a side mounted short stem thermometer, but the center of the drum can be way hotter so I now have a 10" or 12" TelTru thermometer. You can see the stem between the two closest pork loins. I mounted it a couple of inches below the bolts that hold my upper grate, and it's removable so I can get the charcoal basket in and out.

IJGQTSU.jpg

check out the hunsaker site they make a stainless stack and hinge with a thermometer which is really nice. They also make a complete kit you can buy and make your own UDS.

Hey thank you all very much for the info, just what I was after.

Cheers.

Back