Amount of meat for 100 guests

e_tietze

Found some matches.
I have a friend who has asked if I could cook pulled pork and brisket for a wedding reception. They are expecting about 100 guests. I've never cooked for this many before and am trying to figure out quantities of each.

I've seen to figure about 50% shrinkage/bone weight on pork shoulders and butts from raw to cooked weight, and then figure about 1/3 lb. per person for serving size of cooked meat. This would give me a figure of about 66 lbs. of raw meat if serving only pork, correct?

Now, adding brisket to the equation is where I'm unsure. I don't know what to figure for shrinkage weights on the brisket. I'm figuring I can't just figure a 50/50 split of people eating brisket & pork so I'll need a little more of each than just 1/2 of the total amount of meat needed.

We are also going to have a salad, pasta salad, BBQ beans and vegetable tray for sides.

If you are doing 2 meats and sides you can figure about 1/4lb per serving on both the meats.

So for 100 people. You will need 25lbs of cooked pork butts and 25lbs of cooked brisket.

Both have about 50% yield, so 50lbs of raw pork butts and 50lbs of raw brisket is what you would start with.

If you are doing 2 meats and sides you can figure about 1/4lb per serving on both the meats.

So for 100 people. You will need 25lbs of cooked pork butts and 25lbs of cooked brisket.

Both have about 50% yield, so 50lbs of raw pork butts and 50lbs of raw brisket is what you would start with.

Thanks. I didn't know what the % yield would be for brisket.

She also mentioned possibly substituting turkey for brisket. Do you know what weight percentage you can figure for cooked meat from a raw whole turkey? I'm guessing it's a lower percentage due to all the bone structure.

I do not know the rough estimate on hand with how much yield a turkey has. However a 10-12lb turkey during Thanksgiving can feed 7-8 people with no issues. But once again that is just a loose guess more than an educated answer.

Here are some Turkey yield numbers:
Whole Turkey 65%
1/2 Turkey 65%
1/4 Turkey 65%
Breasts 85%
Drum Sticks 60%
Thighs 65%

Back