THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Robb
I would NEVER spend this kind of coin on a 20+/- ounce cut of meat... BUT, Snake River Farms is running an early black Friday deal today. BOGO free. Just couldn't resist.

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/black-friday/american-kobe-cap-of-ribeye.html

Very curious to know how you guys would prepare this cut! Hot-n-fast, keeping it super simple? Or???

For those interested, SRF has a number of great cuts with the BOGO deal. Their briskets are included.

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/blac...+Friday+VIP+Exclusive+|+Buy+One+Get+One+Free+

I would NEVER spend this kind of coin on a 20+/- ounce cut of meat... BUT, Snake River Farms is running an early black Friday deal today. BOGO free. Just couldn't resist.

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/black-friday/american-kobe-cap-of-ribeye.html

Very curious to know how you guys would prepare this cut! Hot-n-fast, keeping it super simple? Or???

For those interested, SRF has a number of great cuts with the BOGO deal. Their briskets are included.

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/blac...+Friday+VIP+Exclusive+|+Buy+One+Get+One+Free+

Hot and Fast for the win! Here's how Tuffy Stone does it....I've had this made by him and it was great: http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/recipes/tips-from-the-pros-tuffy-stone/

I love ribeyes. My favorite part of the steak is the cap part. So naturally, you would think that an entire steak made up of just the cap would be perfection, right? Well, not really. It is delicious. It is awesome. But it is so rich, that you really cannot handle too much. It is almost too much of a good thing. I just think you are better off getting a quality ribeye and enjoying the cap part in harmony with the leaner, eye portion of the cut. Just my $0.02

But everybody who likes ribeyes should try this at least once. I am not sure I would go as far as buy it from SRF. Costco sells cap steaks in Prime Grade for much less and you will be very happy with that.

Hot and fast is the way to go. Depending on how thick it is, just a few minutes per side. If you go a little over, don't worry, there is plenty of fat inside to keep it juicy. Topping with a nice chimichurri sauce while resting is a very good call because the fresh parsley will cut through some of the meat fat.

Thanks for the heads up RW! Just got in on the gold Wagyu briskets and Kurobuta spares. :thumb:

It is delicious. It is awesome. But it is so rich, that you really cannot handle too much. It is almost too much of a good thing. I just think you are better off getting a quality ribeye and enjoying the cap part in harmony with the leaner, eye portion of the cut. Just my $0.02

But everybody who likes ribeyes should try this at least once.

I have the same exact thoughts. A rib eye without the deckle and vice versa leaves me wanting that balance. The costco prime deckle is very rich, so i would imagine the SRF would be even more.

But i would try it anyway!! The piece you ordered seems big enough to experiment on cooking methods, but i recommend extremely hot and fast. Get a decent char on it and leave the inside raw. I would even experiment with cubing some and cooking it kabob style in order to maximize the surface area that is charred. Salt and pepper is all i would use.

SRF American Wagyu Cap of Ribeye

While I probably would not order this cut specifically, one came with a large package of Gold Grade Wagyu steaks earlier this year. (a little over 20 ounces). The opportunity to cook it came when my Frogman son came to town on business, so I thawed it and what to do for cooking. Saw the linked HnF YouTube with CIA doing it on a portable Viking gasser. Since my Weber Genesis 2000 gasser is a lot less hot, I went with what I knew. Did a reverse sear on my modified Weber Kettle 22, Craycort iron grill using KF Comp and an oak chip pouch of JD chips for a little smoke. About 275-300 degrees, flip, temp probe in to 117, then direct over the coals to sear. Set up and viola! SO rich, medium rare. Three shared the steak, my son ate half.
In retrospect, I would recommend HnF on a very hot grill, cooked directly, flip every 2 minutes a few times like the linked video. Richness of the meat is why. Someone above posted a little overcook is forgiven by the richness of the meat, I concur.

I love rib eye the way I do ribeye is get grill as hot as you can 500degrees at lest sear that bad boy on both side bigot it's time to eat if you like it well done just move off fire a little while after you sear it please don't marinate a great steak or get fancy with rubs salt pepper I'm jealous enjoy that great piece of meat

Because of the richness of this cut, I am thinking about making kabobs with it. Should balance it out a bit. Would probably be some of the best kabobs I've ever sunk my teeth into.

Because of the richness of this cut, I am thinking about making kabobs with it. Should balance it out a bit. Would probably be some of the best kabobs I've ever sunk my teeth into.

My brother brought this over a couple years ago, it was so thin it was like 30s per side in a cast iron skillet, if that.

It was like eating a stick of butter :whoo: So yeah a tomato or pepper here or there would have been nice :icon_shy

I have the same exact thoughts. A rib eye without the deckle and vice versa leaves me wanting that balance. The costco prime deckle is very rich, so i would imagine the SRF would be even more.

But i would try it anyway!! The piece you ordered seems big enough to experiment on cooking methods, but i recommend extremely hot and fast. Get a decent char on it and leave the inside raw. I would even experiment with cubing some and cooking it kabob style in order to maximize the surface area that is charred. Salt and pepper is all i would use.

I was thinking the same thing. Cubed up would make an incredible appetizer or small plate item. Cap steak is awesome but a little goes a very long way

Back