THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The_Real_McCoy

Got Wood.
Im currently sitting on the couch at a rented house on lake hartwell. I brought my Akorn in the back of the van. Tomorrow Im smoking some baby backs. I brought lump coal, apple and hickory chunks,and some bbq sauce and brown sugar, and a molassys bacon rub.
First time smoking ribs - temp? Time? give me some tips :)
rHzea09.jpg

I've never had luck getting my Akorn to stay at a temp lower than about 270. I'd shoot for somewhere in the 260-300 range. Time will depend on where it settles in temp wise and how big your ribs are but at 275ish I'm thinking about 4-4 and a half hours. But don't go by time use the bend test. I don't wrap my ribs so if you do your time should be shorter I'd think.
We want pics when you are cooking! Good luck! :thumb:

I like to cook ribs at 265-ish, but see what temp your Akorn likes to run at and cook at that temp. Don't fight it.

Depending on the size of the racks you are looking at around 4 1/2 hours at 265 without foil. If you want to foil then I do 2.5 hours, then in foil for 1 hours and then out of the foil to glaze and any additional time required to finish the ribs.

I use a toothpick in between the bones to test for done. When it goes in with little to no resistance they are ready. You can also use the bend test and pick the ribs up from one end and they will bend at about 90 degrees when done.

BTW, you should really resize that picture. Being so big makes the thread hard to read since it is wider than most folks screen.

Back