Air Thermapens?

DJK

I'm new to here (hi) and real BBQ, and searching this forum has been a great resource in my prep & gearing-up phase. But I can't seem to find any info here or elsewhere (besides the product website) on Air Thermapens.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/thermapen_air.html

I've read enough to know the regular probe versions are quite popular here, but my idea was to use this to check the temperature more accurately in the dome of what will soon be my new 22.5 WSM, and even better to check the temperature at roughly grate-level through a cajun-bandit 1/4" grate-hole grommet. (If possible, I'd prefer to not mess around with drilling holes and whatnot to get something big enough for a Maverick.)

Anyone have any experience with these? Or maybe some knowledge on how this sort of thermometer might work for my intended application? Would smokey, moist air be likely to damage this sort of probe in any way? Would being restricted to the color white likely hinder its accuracy and speed in any way?, etc. ; )

Last edited:
You can always run your wires under the lid, just be careful not to "pinch" them.

You could also use a Turkey thermometer and place that in the upper vent hole, just find one that has a probe long enough to reach the grate level.

Seems a bit pricey to use for just monitoring grate temp IMHO.

A turkey thermometer through the vent hole is a pretty decent idea, but won't that struggle to measure air temperatures as opposed to internal meat temperatures?

And I agree that $100 is an awful lot of money for a thermometer of any kind, but from what I've seen the Mavericks are up there pretty high at $60 too, and from what I understand running the wires under the lid is likely to damage them, no? Is it a matter of being careful, or is any prolonged & repeated pressure from the lid inevitably going to damage them?

You can get the Earlier Model maverick for $35 bucks

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-Set/dp/B0000DIU49"]Amazon.com: Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET73: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

I have this and it has served me well, it just doesn't have the longer range of the newer model.

I use probe holes (the probes on this model will fit the smaller grommets - 1/4" that you use your existing grate screw holes - the newer model you need 3/8") and I run them under the lid sometimes too. I just am careful when pulling/replacing the lid and try not to have it hit the same spot in the wire repeatedly causing undue stress.

I run the probe wires through the top vents of my mini and my kettle whenever I smoke something. I have been using my Maverick ET-732 since August 2-3 times a week with no problems. I haven't even needed to replace batteries yet. I will say that I had to replace 1 of my probes, but that is because my roommate decided to submerge it in water.

Topping out at $60 for something that accurately takes the temperature at grate level, internal temperature, and has a wireless receiver which has alerts for meat temperature and high/low temperatures for cooker seems like a lot better than a $100 thermapen which only takes air temperature.

You can get the Earlier Model maverick for $35 bucks

Amazon.com: Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET73: Kitchen & Dining

I have this and it has served me well, it just doesn't have the longer range of the newer model.

I use probe holes (the probes on this model will fit the smaller grommets - 1/4" that you use your existing grate screw holes - the newer model you need 3/8") and I run them under the lid sometimes too. I just am careful when pulling/replacing the lid and try not to have it hit the same spot in the wire repeatedly causing undue stress.

Awesome. Thanks.

A turkey thermometer through the vent hole is a pretty decent idea, but won't that struggle to measure air temperatures as opposed to internal meat temperatures?

I use a turkey thermometer in my UDS, and it has no problem showing a constant air temp.

Matt

Back