Advice on big boneless pork butt I plan to do tomorrow...

frayedend

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jim
Got my new LSG 42 X 20 smoker seasoned last weekend.

I stopped at the butcher and they only had 18 lb briskets. They had no bone-in pork butts. So I got this boneless butt. It's 14 lbs in a cryovac. Looks like they basically butterfly it to get the bone out but I'm not really sure. It's very thin in the middle, almost like 2 butts.

Anyhow would I save time if I separate the 2 halves and treat it as if I'm doing 2 of them? I'm hoping to somehow get this on at 6 AM and have it ready to eat by 7 PM. But it's a lot of meat.

I could also cut it in half and just do half and freeze the other half for some other time. Any tips appreciated. I know I'm in for surprises with this being my first smoke. I'm probably gonna go to 275. Got a bunch of apple wood from a local orchard yesterday.

Pork butts average about 8 pounds each with bone in.

Wholesale clubs offer cyro packages of two boneless butts, (average 8 lb each, less bone) weighing in around 14 pounds. I am sure that is what you have.

Your choice is to freeze one and cook one, or cook both and freeze one after pulling, vac-sealing in appropriate sized packages.

save the de-fatted drippings to add back into the pulled pork.

So if I have 2 at about 7 lbs each then the time shouldn't be a problem. I've never had them packed like this. Usually I just see the 1 bone in butt at 7 lb.

I'll smoke em both and have some all weekend. :)

I agree that it is probably two butts in the cryo. A 14 lb. butt would be enormous. I would also suggest just going ahead and cooking them both. You can always have the extra pork frozen and ready for a quick meal or use it in a Brunswick stew, etc. Congrats on the new smoker, now the fun begins.

I agree that it is probably two butts in the cryo. A 14 lb. butt would be enormous. I would also suggest just going ahead and cooking them both. You can always have the extra pork frozen and ready for a quick meal or use it in a Brunswick stew, etc. Congrats on the new smoker, now the fun begins.

Awesome idea on the Brunswick stew. I've read about it and seen recipes. But I've never made it. I'll definitely give that a shot.

Back