About to pull the trigger on a Horizon RD Marshall 24 x 48

Back to the original topic of this thread, I just found this 24” Horizon RD Special Marshal smoker available locally for $1750

Should I grab it? What should I offer? New they are $3200 + $600 shipping

Attachments

• 240770456_4388629687898425_9102944637963267407_n.jpg
    240770456_4388629687898425_9102944637963267407_n.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 240858581_3690806697689639_6402234248800235475_n.jpg
    240858581_3690806697689639_6402234248800235475_n.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 240803584_4476350699070889_412422636524334956_n.jpg
    240803584_4476350699070889_412422636524334956_n.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Back to the original topic of this thread, I just found this 24” Horizon RD Special Marshal smoker available locally for $1750

Should I grab it? What should I offer? New they are $3200 + $600 shipping

If it were me, I'd offer $1500 just do my due diligence of trying, but would be willing to pay asking.

PS: my brother in law has this technique where he always shows up with enough cash for his low ball offers, and 90% of the time it works. Meaning, if you show up and put 15 $100 bills in their hands, they are much more likely to take it than just a verbal low offer. Just saying...I've seen my bro in law take cars and motorcycles for insanely low ball offers simply because the seller, once holding tens of hundred dollar bills, has a hard time passing...

Last edited:
my bro in law take cars and motorcycles for insanely low ball offers simply because the seller, once holding tens of hundred dollar bills, has a hard time passing...
I fell victim to that trick myself when I sold a car when I was in college.

Hey wait, maybe it was your brother in law. :heh:

order n. 10438 baby!!!! see ya in 6 months!

I started my research months ago and purchased the 1975 last week with no other competitor close to sway my decision with my max budget. There's a YouTube video of a podcast with JD (the owner) and I was completely sold on his work ethic to build a perfect backyard pit that performs like larger offsets restaurants use. He makes some comments in that interview which I interpreted as performance is his key objective, not looks, extras, etc. which keeps price at bargain level.

24"x48" chamber, 3/8 throughout, 24"x27" firebox, very tall stack, and using engineering to optimize the draft/even temps for that price is very convincing.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t those added wheels jack with the angle of air flow?

I started my research months ago and purchased the 1975 last week with no other competitor close to sway my decision with my max budget. There's a YouTube video of a podcast with JD (the owner) and I was completely sold on his work ethic to build a perfect backyard pit that performs like larger offsets restaurants use. He makes some comments in that interview which I interpreted as performance is his key objective, not looks, extras, etc. which keeps price at bargain level.

24"x48" chamber, 3/8 throughout, 24"x27" firebox, very tall stack, and using engineering to optimize the draft/even temps for that price is very convincing.

I've been researching smokers on and off for the last 2 years (obviously not well :) ), and just discovered this. There is nothing that beats it, agree. Total no brainer. Curious, what options did you get?

I've been researching smokers on and off for the last 2 years (obviously not well :) ), and just discovered this. There is nothing that beats it, agree. Total no brainer. Curious, what options did you get?

I got the standard 1975, no options even though I went back and forth about it.

Cowboy firebox - I wouldn't use it that often(have other grills), and mostly wanted 100% sealed firebox, and no extra cuts/welds. I haven't heard any issues with leaks, but I'll be smoking in colder temps, so wanted every advantage I could get. With all that said, I know people really love their Cowboy firebox!

2nd shelf - the 1975 main rack is plenty big for my needs (I could've easily gotten a 1969). Also, in one of the Workhorse videos it says "Single grate = Outstanding performance". Also, I spoke to someone at Workhorse and they said they encourage customers to cook only with the main grate until they get used to the pit. The only reason I really wanted the 2nd shelf was for resale value (opens it up to caterers, etc..), but I can easily have a welder add that later if I really need it. And, I hope to never sell it. Also, if I do cold smokes or jerky, I'll use stainless steel shelves anyways for 4 layers.

Wagon Wheels - I wish...If I had the money for sure!!

Cover - It will be stored in my garage.

I really wanted a 24x48 smoker with a large firebox to maximize airflow/convection - I've noticed other builders and experts recommend that be the minimum size for an offset to work the best (e.g. Millscale/Backline's smallest smokers are that size). Can't wait to get mine!! Also, Workhorse just raised their price, so lucky I ordered last week!!

Also, Workhorse just raised their price, so lucky I ordered last week!!

How much did they raise their prices ?

They've got to have been taking a loss with steel prices the way they are.

Local guy bought a Primitive Pit. Same company as Workhorse. He said the price was great and delivery was relatively quick. They were selling at a lower price trying to get their name out .

How much did they raise their prices ?

They've got to have been taking a loss with steel prices the way they are.

Local guy bought a Primitive Pit. Same company as Workhorse. He said the price was great and delivery was relatively quick. They were selling at a lower price trying to get their name out .

About 250. I had a feeling they were about to raise it. I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner. I wonder if they had a big surplus of steel they bought before the crazy increases and were holding off on price increases until that ran out in an effort to keep gaining more customers?

About 250. I had a feeling they were about to raise it. I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner. I wonder if they had a big surplus of steel they bought before the crazy increases and were holding off on price increases until that ran out in an effort to keep gaining more customers?

IDK, pure speculation on my part, but sometimes a new business can take a loss for a while in order to establish themselves in the market. Depends upon how deep the investors pockets are.

What are folks thoughts on Workhorse's enormous firebox? Do I really need a 25" firebox on a 42" smoker?

I ask because I'm debating between the 37" 1957 and 42" 1969. The 42" is 10" larger because half the increase is in the firebox!

A 1969 with the 1957 21" firebox seems nice for my space... but I don't want to screw up their computational fluid dynamics :-D

What are folks thoughts on Workhorse's enormous firebox? Do I really need a 25" firebox on a 42" smoker?

I ask because I'm debating between the 37" 1957 and 42" 1969. The 42" is 10" larger because half the increase is in the firebox!

A 1969 with the 1957 21" firebox seems nice for my space... but I don't want to screw up their computational fluid dynamics :-D

A larger firebox gives you the ability to move the fire further away or closer to the cooking surface as a temp control tool. In Franklin's master class, he mentions if its cold outside, he'll have his fire in the middle, and then move extra coals to the front edge of the box to warm the cold air moving in before it hits the fire, which makes the fire not work as hard if that makes sense. I'm guessing it makes fire management and control easier and gives you more options vs. a small firebox. I know using a firebasket isn't preferred by Workhorse for this same reason - to easily manipulate the coal bed & to maintain the right amount of air flow to the coals. The circular shape is a natural V shape which helps the coals stay uniform, so I can see why a V basket might my useful for someone with a flat bottom firebox.

A larger firebox gives you the ability to move the fire further away or closer to the cooking surface as a temp control tool. In Franklin's master class, he mentions if its cold outside, he'll have his fire in the middle, and then move extra coals to the front edge of the box to warm the cold air moving in before it hits the fire, which makes the fire not work as hard if that makes sense. I'm guessing it makes fire management and control easier and gives you more options vs. a small firebox. I know using a firebasket isn't preferred by Workhorse for this same reason - to easily manipulate the coal bed & to maintain the right amount of air flow to the coals. The circular shape is a natural V shape which helps the coals stay uniform, so I can see why a V basket might my useful for someone with a flat bottom firebox.
Awesome thanks.

I emailed Workhorse any they don't allow customization anyway. They just pump them out and assign them to purchase orders.

She also said they sell very few 1957's, and as you might guess, a lot of customers who buy them regret it and say they wish they'd gone bigger.

I'm going to order a 1969!

I'm going to order a 1969!

Awesome! I think that was a good choice!

One thing I forgot to mention with firebox size (again from the Franklin master class). Bigger firebox/cooker can produce a bigger fire (without overheating the unit), which will have a bigger coal bed. With a bigger & hotter coal bed, it's much easier to get faster combustion and cleaner smoke. There's ways around this with really small cookers, like adding small splits very frequently, but definitely not as easy and consistent.

One thing I forgot to mention with firebox size (again from the Franklin master class). Bigger firebox/cooker can produce a bigger fire (without overheating the unit), which will have a bigger coal bed. With a bigger & hotter coal bed, it's much easier to get faster combustion and cleaner smoke. There's ways around this with really small cookers, like adding small splits very frequently, but definitely not as easy and consistent.

But that big coal bed won't bring you over your target temp?

I thought the way to the cleanest smoke is to use the smallest, hottest fire possible fire that will get you to the temp you need.

I thought the way to the cleanest smoke is to use the smallest, hottest fire possible fire that will get you to the temp you need.

that's right, and ideally, this small hot fire should be as far away as possible from the intake into the cook chamber, and for that, the bigger the fire box the better

I would phrase it - you want the biggest and hottest coal bed (+500f) your cooker can handle without your cooking chamber going over temp. Higher combustion rates get you the clean smoke. The new splits added need to fit in that super hot combustion area.

A bigger firebox and cooker = bigger splits, fire, and coal bed you can maintain while keeping at your desired temp. Bigger cookers are easier to manage because of their size (more margin for error). To keep a tiny coal bed super hot, you'd have to feed it small splits every 15 minutes.

The difference between the 1957, 1969, and 1975 may be small, but I'll take any advantage I can get.

Last edited:
Back