A great big thank you to everyone here!

M

Megalops

I've been lurking here for a few years now, and have learned so much it is amazing. I was the standard weekend BBQ warrior who thought I knew how to bbq, and would get about 50% of my pork butts to come out very good. The others would fall somewhere between fair and inedible. My ribs were always a hit, but now looking back, we just didn't know what good ribs were.

Since reading this forum:

I've learned about clear blue smoke. I now understand why some of my previous attempts were bitter. I've also learned about creosote, and why it is so important to keep the ash under control.

I now understand what makes a good rub. I now let my meat warm to room temperature before smoking. I'm now down with 'The Funk', and understand how important salt is.

I now understand what a fattie is (or at least another meaning for the name), what is meant by the 3-2-1 cooking method, and what a good smoke ring looks like in meat. I also understand why meat needs to rest for a bit after cooking.

I've since swapped out my offset smoker for a homemade UDS. For anyone who hasn't yet tried one, they're almost like cheating. It doesn't get any easier than to use one of these. All I can think of is the Ronco commercial, "Set it and forget it!" I now regularly put on a brisket at 10:00pm before going to bed. I don't even bother checking on it until about 9:00am the next morning. They normally take between 12 and 16 hours for me, and the UDS keeps a constant temperature of +/- 10F. I never would've attempted to cook a brisket on my old offset. I don't have that much patience.

Speaking of brisket, I'd definitely like to thank bigabyte for his tutorial: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882 - I've made about 20 briskets in the past 2 years, and every one has come out excellent thanks to his tutorial! The last dozen or so are almost perfect. I never stray from his basics, never used a marinade or injection, and always remember to put the 'Funk' on first. I must admit, however, that I'm tempted to try some Kosmos injection soon. I'm a little leary about adding $15 worth of seasoning to a $30 piece of meat, but I will have to try it at least once.

I know that most of what I said is standard common knowledge around here, but had it not been for all of you and this forum, I would not have any idea about this stuff.

I also now realize that there are no good all around BBQ restaraunts in south Florida. There's a few that do ribs, pulled pork and chicken justice, but I can't find one who serves a good brisket (now that I know what a good brisket is).

Anyways, I just wanted to write this post to say thank you!

I now would also like to throw in my own personal pork butt recipe, so that I can feel that I too have contributed to the vast knowledge here.

Use Emeril's Original Essence for the rub (big containers sold at Costco). I put in on medium for small butts, and fairly heavy for large butts. I smoke for 4 hours at 225 and spray it with 50/50 mixture of kikkoman soy sauce and orange juice every half hour. Then triple wrap it in HD foil after a decent 50/50 spray down and set it in a preheated 325F oven until internal temp of 195F. Rest for a minimum half hour, and it is magnificent. Definitely the best pulled pork I've ever had.

This place is indeed awesome!:cool: Thanks for sharing the pork recipe. Believe it or not, if you keep hanging out here, you learn even more. I learn stuff all the time here!:thumb:

What is the "funk"?

The FUNK; refers to a Brethren member who is an ecclectic member from the old school of BBQ. He's so full of BBQ knowledge and other stuff... he's been known to break into multiple personalities without notice.

Been known as Barbefunkoramaque, Donnie T., Pitmaster T, The Funky one, The Funkmeister, the troubled one... you get the idea.

His videos alone are a one man show.... of multiple roles.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PitmasterT?feature=watch

I learn stuff all the time here!:thumb:

I joined this site just a short while ago, I've been Q'in for a few years now and in my, let's say middle age, I have learned that once you stop seeking knowledge the game stagnates. I have seen some VERY GOOD ideas on this site. These ladies and gentlemen sure do know how to do things right. I am very grateful for their contribution and their willingness to share their knowledge and ideas. So, with that said, I also THANK YOU!:clap2:

I've been lurking here for a few years now, and have learned so much it is amazing. I was the standard weekend BBQ warrior who thought I knew how to bbq, and would get about 50% of my pork butts to come out very good. The others would fall somewhere between fair and inedible. My ribs were always a hit, but now looking back, we just didn't know what good ribs were.

welcome you should have come out and talked along time earlier-there are good people here,but its good you are talking now about bbq.

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Thanks for the warm welcome, and I really do appreciate all the information available here.

Regarding "The Funk", George Clinton is indeed king. Please read: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57130

I promise you my pork butt recipe above will be a hit. I got this recipe from my next door neighbor, who claims he came up with it himself. He's known to BS a little, so I can't say where its true origins are from. What I can say is that it's fantastic. I think the secret is in the kikkoman, as it is almost pure George Clinton.

Back