A Day in the Life of an Indoor Stick Burning Cook Stove

Brother Matt

Full Fledged Farker
A few of you asked for details on my cooker, so I thought I'd share some photos and details.

I built this last February, after finalizing my combustion design after working on that aspect all winter. It has run almost non-stop since then, with a two month break during summer.

I'm going to try these Photobucket "story" links, we'll see how they work here....

P1160091.jpg

A%20Day%20with%20the%20Cook%20Stove%201%2024%2016
http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mremine/Cookstove/A Day with the Cook Stove 1 24 16/story
Here's a typical day in the life of this cooker. This is last Tuesday, and I'm Gluten Free, and currently eating at a caloric surplus so my carbs are a little funny looking!

I raise my own meat....this day started with a Rib Eye and eggs, then the Mangalitsa steak goes in for a long smoke to render off the lard....

I reserve the lard and Chicharrones, and pull the pork. While that cooled I whipped myself up a lunch time apple pie with peanut butter crust.

Then a little masa taco bread and pulled pork snack!

I got some tomatoes and peppers out of the freezer, from the fall harvest, and stick them in the smoker with a little balsamic/mustard/s/p covering. Once those smoke a bit I pull 'em, seed the peppers and put it all on the cook top with some pulled pork and carrots, and I use the scissors to chop it up in the saucepan. Chili and rice for afternoon meal!

Finish the day off with an apple/blackberry peanutbutter pie! Fyi, those pies are all whole foods, no added sugar, no added fat, no flour. 400-600 calories for the whole thing depending on what I need that day. All brown rice, whole oats, whole fruit, whey, etc. Good stuff!

Thanks for looking!

http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mremine/Walker Brick Cook Stove/story

And for you technical fellows, here's a build album:

http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mremine/Walker Brick Cook Stove/story

Looks like the story links are a fail... Thanks for the detailed pics! Nice work there brother! So for the 2 months in the summer, what do you cook on?

Wow...That is a crazy contraption but looks like fun to run...

Very well thought out...Are there dampers to adjust the stove top temps?

You must be single...The floor took a beating during the build...

Enjoy...I'm jealous...

Looks like the story links are a fail... Thanks for the detailed pics! Nice work there brother! So for the 2 months in the summer, what do you cook on?

Thanks man. Last summer I honestly did not cook once, I was so busy with work and other projects and I get a lot in during the winter.

Summer before I spent a lot of time cooking on these units...both of them heat the seating as well, with the heat leftover after cooking...

[ame]https://youtu.be/LcA0PlIfThY[/ame]
LcA0PlIfThY

Wow...That is a crazy contraption but looks like fun to run...

Very well thought out...Are there dampers to adjust the stove top temps?

You must be single...The floor took a beating during the build...

Enjoy...I'm jealous...

Ha! Yep, single....and the floors are salvage from 4 different house demos, still unfinished, so.....they are hammered!

No dampers for the stove top, the roundabout layout of the flue channel does a good job of offering different high temps on the firebox side. There is a damper for the oven, and the stove top over the oven tends to ride at a perfect simmer, but is adjustable from med-low, down.

Summer before I spent a lot of time cooking on these units...both of them heat the seating as well, with the heat leftover after cooking...

Brother, you have one hell of a setup! :thumb: Thanks for the video, I'm jealous!!!!

I really enjoyed your build tour! Are you pulling heat off the oven for home heat? I didn't see any blowers, but maybe passive mass radiation? Maybe that is why the flue is a spiral maze?
On a side note....is that dial telephone operational?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm curious, by nature.

Hell yeh, looks rustic and comfy.
You freeze Tomatoes and Peppers? do you prepare them in any way for freezing?

Hell yeh, looks rustic and comfy.
You freeze Tomatoes and Peppers? do you prepare them in any way for freezing?

Hey Titch, I do freeze them. As you might remember, I'm the guy who tries not to buy any food. So, I learned that with Tomatoes, Peppers, Apples, Plums, berries, and a few other summer goodies, you can chuck 'em straight into the freezer as long as they go right into the oven when they come out. Super easy way to deal with the summer tomaoto and pepper glut, and no processing time. Just wander through the garden with a ziplock every day, eat tomatoes all winter!

I really enjoyed your build tour! Are you pulling heat off the oven for home heat? I didn't see any blowers, but maybe passive mass radiation? Maybe that is why the flue is a spiral maze?
On a side note....is that dial telephone operational?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm curious, by nature.

Thanks Mike, I do get quite a bit of heat off the unit, as radiating mass. The spiral maze is for complete combustion, Time/Temp/Turbulence is the secret there. There are no blowers, but it has heat to spare and could be used as a main heat source for a small space. And yep, that's my phone. I shot my cell phone 12 years ago, and haven't looked back!

Could you post the recipe for the low calorie pies? I have to watch my weight and have a sweet tooth, not usually a good combo.

Could you post the recipe for the low calorie pies? I have to watch my weight and have a sweet tooth, not usually a good combo.

Do you count calories, or try to hit certain macros? My recipes are all very, very adjustable. If you make a request, I can fine tune something for you.

The gist of it is that the cake-y parts I base on blended brown rice and whole rolled oats, combined with some whey protein and perhaps some other gluten free flour options like coconut or a GF flour pre mix.

Casein protein makes a great base for frostings and creamy fillings.

So, here are a couple of choices for you.

Apple pie: 450 calories, 78/4/30 grams of Carbs/Fat/Protein

Filling:
11oz. apples, cut bite sized
1/2 scoop vanilla casein protein, or peanut butter flavor is good too.
mix with water to a filling consistency, a bit on the wet side.
Fill bottom of 9" Pie Pan

Topping:
1/2c cooked brown rice
1 TBSP coconut flour
1 TBSP GF flour mix, or another coconut flour, or you can just use more rice, or blended oats.
1/2 scoop of whey protein, I like caramel toffee fudge for these, but lots of good choices.
1/2 TBSP baking powder

Blend the rice with water until smooth, fold in the other ingredients. Try to go for a light, moist cake batter consistency. Add in Baking Powder and immediately top apple filling with mix.

Bake 45 minutes at 375.

That's it. I do cakes with basically the same mix as the topping. Without the apples and filling mix that little cake right there would be only around 250 calories. I like to make chocolate ones and top them with a little PB2 mixed with water. Yum.

Let me know if you'd like more details.

Oh, here's one more I like. There's another on this same yt channel that is good too.

[ame]https://youtu.be/ZkDDMSuXyro[/ame]

Back