THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AZRaptor

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Jeff
My first cook in the Big Easy No-Oil Fryer was a batch of whole chicken wings. I had purchased two of the "Bunk Bed Baskets" to provide additional layers for cooking and was able to do 17 wings at once. It was a decent amount of wings, but I really wanted to find a way to do more for hot wings. Time for Plan B...

I bought the hinged basket and five pair of the leg racks (they come in pairs). When I got them all in I noticed the hinged rack will be good for doing turkeys, but the leg racks didn't fit well on the door section and the weight caused the door to pop open if not careful. So I proceeded with my idea using the original basket.

Here's the original basket with the five layers of racks installed. In theory I could have put a layer of flat wing pieces on the very bottom of the basket as well as add a layer of racks at the very top of the basket, but I just went with the five layers.

HotWings1.JPG

The grocery store didn't have anything but frozen wing pieces, so I picked up two four pound bags and put them in the fridge to defrost over night. When I went to cook them tonight they were still pretty frozen, but that just means I need to cook them a bit longer.

HotWings2.JPG

I cooked them for an hour with the top on and they temped from 170 on the bottom rack to 190 on the top rack.

HotWings3.JPG

With the wings done I tossed them in some Cajun Chef Louisiana Wing Sauce and they came out REALLY good. This made a batch of 50-60 pieces. Next time I'll probably cook them with the top off to see if they cook at a similar rate throughout the stack.

HotWings4.JPG
HotWings5.JPG

Yep , the Big Easy does wings right, crispy on the outside and tender on the inside!:becky:

Wings look good, I've been cooking pork loins and tenderloins in the Big Easy lately

Interesting. I've got a couple half pork loins from the grocery store I need to cook for protein in the house this week. I was going to do them in the Akorn to try out the new smoking stone, maybe I'll do one in each and see how they do. You just set it on the bottom of the basket? I'll probably use one of the bunk bed baskets to raise it up to the middle of the chamber.

Now that's a stack o wings!

Yeah there was more than that initially, but my son grabbed a dozen or so and took off before I could get the picture, but I caught my wife in time to make her pour her pile back on the plate for the picture.

She was part amused and part bewildered...

Back