THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jhtitan

Found some matches.
So over the weekend I decided to smoke a turkey breast as a trial run for the whole turkey I plan to do at Thanksgiving.

I used Saiko's honey brine to brine the bird. Details can be found here: The honey smoked turkey breast project

After brineing for 24 hours I made up bacon butter. 1/2lb bacon and 1/2lb stick butter and 2Tbs dry rub (I used a creole rub) in the food processor. This was liberally applied under the skin and anywhere else I thought needed some.

I wove 1 lb of bacon over the top of all that and hit the outside with more rub, then let it sit while I got the UDS up to temp. I used cherry wood for the smoke and Kingsford briquets for fuel.

I placed a pan on the rack under the bird to collect drippings for the gravy. This didn't work very well but it might just be the breast only had bacon drippings, not much fat content.

Once I got the UDS up to 325°F I put the bird in the drum and let it soak up flavor til it reached 165°F then I pulled it and let it rest. Best turkey yet!

Sunday I decided to make Turkey noodle soup with the remains. cooked the stock from the deboned carcass, 1/2 of the bacon, 1lg onion quartered, 2 stalks of celery, and about 3 carrots all chopped course, and let that simmer for about 4 hours. then strained everything out and kept the stock and all the meat I could get picked out.

I sliced up a couple more carrots, another stalk of celery and some extra turkey and let that simmer for another hour and added some wide egg noodles for the last 7 mins. Everyone loved it, it was perfect.

I froze half the soup stock for later use.

Soup stock has a wonderfully smokey flavor. Was so much better than I ever could have expected.

Sorry only pic I got was of the bird resting. I meant to get pics of the sliced bird but got distracted with eating it.

Attachments

• 20150801_183127.jpg
    20150801_183127.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 199
Nice!
Yes you will get alot more drippins using a whole bird mostly due to the dark meat, makes awesome gravy and or soup!

My mother in law absolutely loves smoked turkey. When we lived in Phoenix I used to make her one every week. She's gone as far as saying she'd buy me a vacuum sealer if I promised to send her some occasionally. I think I might need to give this one a try you certainly elevated smoked turkey!

Back