48 Assassin charcoal has arrived

Enough mechanical talk...Some food...
"Vortex like" wings, since I don't know how to use my Vortex on this beast.
IMG_1345_small.jpg

I kept the pan in the draft area just below the chimney. They crisped up great and fast.

IMG_2449_small.jpg

Another awesome thing about the Assassin is that the pinwheel vent is gigantic, you can actually look in it and see the bottom side of your steak develop char. Watch out for pops.

More reverse ribeye/vortex pictures...

Last edited:
I did a stick burning session last night with the grill reaching over 600F+. The lid of the pit easily reaches 450F+ above the fire, much hotter than the 324A tape is rated for (350F). That being said, when it got hot, it softened a bit and made the hinge easily flex. I checked it this morning and the tape seems fine. For covering the backside of the hinge that isn't welded, I placed another layer of 324A to overlap with the original one and the welded area. A hose test worked well with minimal water entry.

I am going to run this application of tape until it fails. Assuming it simply fails because of heat, I will try switching to high temperature flue tape or 3M 433 (600F). It may fail due to outdoor exposure first, who knows.

8lb bone in butt for 14ish hours. Started with the water pan but water boils off really quickly (<4h) (big spike). Refilled it twice overnight, gave up in the morning and switched to the VPan with fire bricks covering a bit more of the vents. I need to figure out if I can do a maze with my smaller front pans. In general, it held well for around 4h but I want to do an end to end with VPan/fire bricks.

More pictures....

Graph_small.png

IMG_1415-2_Small.jpg

Reporting back on the 324A foil tape....No issues, I have done tons of low temp/high temp cooks and it works very well. There have been quite a few heavy downpours and the cooker stays 99% dry, no accumulation but a few drops make it in via surface tension around some corners. I'd recommend this to any Assassin owners that don't have covered grills and want to avoid the rain.

Back