THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aged steak and King crab legs.
You would think it's your birthday! :clap2:
Have to say, that right there is one of my favorite meals!

I have a extra fridge but all the shelves are glass.
Im gonna need to get a little creative here.

That looks really good.. the problem with me though is that I'm too impatient. I would never been able to wait 45 days to eat my rib-eye... if I'm in the mood for steak, I tend to buy it & eat it the same day.

Looks great bud! I've been want to do that, I think you just gave me the final push.

Looks absolutely amazing, like it would melt in your mouth. You are a brave man for undertaking the whole process with a beautiful roast like that.

VR,
Harold

If I'm reading between the lines, you aged them yourself? They look great, and aging is something I've wanted to try on my own, but haven't gotten around to it just yet.

Thanks Guys!! You really have to give it a shot. It intensifies the beef flavor and breaks down the connective tissues to a buttery goodness.

Nice job!

How much did you trim off of the roast after you took it out of the Umai bag? Also, did you track the weight loss during the aging time?

Thanks Ron!

I did keep track or the weight and trim

Started at 15lbs

At day 45 it was slightly over 12lbs

Yielded total of 14 steaks which totaled 8lbs ( I didn't cut into thick steaks this time)

Good fat and usable trimmings for sausage and such was 2lbs

Inedible trimmings were around 2lbs

Bought the roast at $10.99/lb and final cost of steaks after weight loss and trim ended at $20/lb.

At $20/lb it's a bargain for a prime 45 day dry aged boneless ribeye not to mentions it tastes amazing.

Great article on dry aging at home. Read before you order any special bags.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

Good article but for what it's worth the author doesn't display fair representation of the dry age bag. Supposedly he had a hard time vacuuming the air out and resulting in a mess. You have to be retarded not to be able to put a sub-primal in a dry bag and seal it.

Here's a test that Kansas State did by dry aging traditionally and using the bags.

https://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/2097/4343/cattle06pg60-62.pdf?sequence=1

Aged steak and King crab legs.
You would think it's your birthday! :clap2:
Have to say, that right there is one of my favorite meals!

I have a extra fridge but all the shelves are glass.
Im gonna need to get a little creative here.

Thanks Ray!! Nothing wrong thinking it's my birthday again.:becky: With glass shelved all you have to do is elevate the bag about 4". Some sort of wire rack will do.

That looks really good.. the problem with me though is that I'm too impatient. I would never been able to wait 45 days to eat my rib-eye... if I'm in the mood for steak, I tend to buy it & eat it the same day.

Thanks Joe! Before you know it 45 days will be gone. You can actually do as little as 21 days but from what I read the major taste change/magic seems to happen after the 30 day mark so I went 45 days.

I've been looking forward to your update ssv, looks fantastic!!
Thank you for the info, I need to give this a try soon.

Your whole meal looks amazing. I absolutely love crab legs and your photo of dipping the leg in butter makes my mouth water. lol
Thanks for the update!!

I've been looking forward to your update ssv, looks fantastic!!
Thank you for the info, I need to give this a try soon.

Your whole meal looks amazing. I absolutely love crab legs and your photo of dipping the leg in butter makes my mouth water. lol
Thanks for the update!!

Thanks Jeanie! I love crab myself and literally can have it everyday.

I ordered a sample set of bags tonight. Looking forward to aged goodness of beef! Thanx for the inspiration!!

I'm thinking I've been terribly misinformed on the process of dry-aging. Every time I see a tutorial on it, they always say you need a separate dedicated fridge for it. If you put it in your regular fridge and open the door even once, it won't come out right. I've been waiting for the right moment to get the dedicated fridge. Now you're saying you don't need it? I'm gonna have to revise all the information I've been told. You don't have to worry about opening the door on your regular fridge? Really??

The next step

Waiting for my bags as well,can't we organize a group buy if they're working so good?

I just received an Anova Sous Vide cooker and also plan a 45 day age then a little Sous Vide and the finish with a quick reverse sear for what I hope is THE best beef experience ever!

Waiting for my bags as well,can't we organize a group buy if they're working so good?

I just received an Anova Sous Vide cooker and also plan a 45 day age then a little Sous Vide and the finish with a quick reverse sear for what I hope is THE best beef experience ever!

That sounds awesome! Funny that this thread resurrected because I literally just waked in with this to dry age:

19 lb rib roast. On sale at 5.88/lb and I couldn't resist.

20150404_110533.jpg

EDIT

Brain fart. I don't know how I walked out withe a roast that was trussed and bones separated at the bottom for a "roast" Duh on my part. But anyway, took it back to the butcher at Ralphs and he exchanged it:

20150404_125403.jpg

20150404_125438.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking I've been terribly misinformed on the process of dry-aging. Every time I see a tutorial on it, they always say you need a separate dedicated fridge for it. If you put it in your regular fridge and open the door even once, it won't come out right. I've been waiting for the right moment to get the dedicated fridge. Now you're saying you don't need it? I'm gonna have to revise all the information I've been told. You don't have to worry about opening the door on your regular fridge? Really??

Sorry Tish just saw your post. Yes, you just put it in the Umai bag and make sure there is circulation around it and let it go for how many ever days you prefer. No mess, no fuss. Open the door to your fridge anytime you need to get stuff in or out. I actually dry aged in my kegerator/fridge outside because the indoor fridges have glass shelves as opposed racks on the mini.

20150404_111607.jpg

Back