3rd brisket is a charm!

TravelingJ

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Justin
Used a lot of tips from here. I had pretty much given up on them. $40+ was just feeling too steep for something I was so far off base on. But, I kept reading thread after thread about them, and realized I was just pulling it too soon.

So, I had the day to work from home (which means answer 2 emails and 1 phone call) so I did some work in the outdoor area, and was able to smell that sweet smoke the entire time.

Started with something I picked out at the Sams yesterday
bOeXCUm.jpg

This is the beast that I snagged
zFuLPWv.jpg

I forgot to get trimmed pictures (one of those work calls came in while I was elbow deep in brisket fat) but this is seasoned with Oakridge Competition beef and pork.
amLow9z.jpg

Then my dad showed up with a load of rock that he snagged from one of his accounts. So I pumped him full of pork belly burnt ends, and then we unloaded.
5jInJkx.jpg

At the 4 hour mark, I pulled her to wrap in butcher paper.
UeAKyX1.jpg

Not as pretty as some of the pictures on here, but I was fairly pleased.
JyxRxtv.jpg

When the girlfriend came home, we shifted the rocks a bit, then dug down in to bury them so they weren't so tall. Tomorrow we are moving the border on the right, and moving it to the left of the fire pit, and ordering more pea gravel. Giant oak trees are nice for the shade, but the refuse to let any grass grow in our yard ) =
cDLT4JI.jpg

And, muuuuuch later than I had anticipated, I finally had a brisket that we actually liked!
oPsb96d.jpg

And plated with some roasted asparagus.
a6e9eCF.jpg

Finally not afraid to cook this giant hunk of beef. At least you get a ton of good food from a brisket, and the price isn't too bad when you look at 'cost per meal' instead of 'cost per screwup'

Looks tasty mate, fark the rocks, BBQ for someone to do them.
You would feed them well by the Pic.s

That looks great. I would even pack rocks for a taste. That's a great price for Prime. I'm lucky to get choice at our Sams Club at any price.

Nicely done.

I feel like becoming comfortable cooking a brisket is a right of passage for we BBQ enthusiasts, so welcome to the club!

Nothing like nailing your first good brisket. Pulling early is just a natural thing I think. After all those hours invested you can't get the thought of drying it out from your mind. You have to get 1 right to realize it's not like other cuts. Overcooked is way better than under. Are you doing another next weekend? :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone! I was/am super proud of the accomplishment. Now I look forward to experimenting with wrapped/naked, SPOG vs rub, etc.

I see someone likes the fatty cut :thumb: Did you do the extra 4+ hour hold?
I think it was right at 2.5 hours.
Nicely done.

I feel like becoming comfortable cooking a brisket is a right of passage for we BBQ enthusiasts, so welcome to the club!
Thanks! It's certainly the most difficult thing I have tried to smoke.
Nice! Pulling too soon plagued me for years, so I'm glad you cracked that code.
Well, I didn't crack it, so much as I read it here enough times for it to finally sink in! hehe
Very nice I don't move rocks that size anymore Looks good
They actually weren't horrible, and my 60 year old dad was leading the charge. But, we basically slid them off the tailgate, onto a bag of mulch, then moved them into place with a 2 wheeler. Certainly nobody lifted them!
Nothing like nailing your first good brisket. Pulling early is just a natural thing I think. After all those hours invested you can't get the thought of drying it out from your mind. You have to get 1 right to realize it's not like other cuts. Overcooked is way better than under. Are you doing another next weekend? :heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That's exactly it. Every other time I would go "well, this must be probes like butter, because it's been cooking forever!" I'm not sure about next weekend, but I won't run away the next time she requests one, at least.

Back