THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SuburbSlicker

Full Fledged Farker
Tax refund check came in and Mrs. Slicker has okayed purchase of a new gasser. Truth be told my old Kmart gasser (paid $30 on clearance) has lasted nearly ten years but should've been junked a few years ago. She can't use it because the igniter is shot and she doesn't like using a lighter to get it lit. So her desire to not singe her eyebrows is my gain. I got my $30 out of the other one, I think.

I'm in the market for a Weber Genesis and I'm pretty sure I want the 330 with the sear burner, but I could probably be still convinced that a 310 would be enough.

Here's the questions:

1) Any clear thoughts from anyone on the stainless steel grates/Flavorizer bars vs. the porcelain enamel grates/bars? I've done a lot of reading and it seems the stainless may have a slight edge, but may not be enough to warrant the extra $50.

2) Anyone figure out a way to secure their grill well? Leaving $900 out in the backyard might be too tempting for some a-hole in my suburban 'hood. I trust my smokers outside because it would take someone too long and too many ruined briskets to learn how to use them. But a shiny new Genesis might be pretty attractive. I'm okay rolling it into the shed for vacations, but not as a matter of routine. I'm thinking a cable lock through the lid handle anchored into the ground. Not perfect, but might be a deterrent. Any other suggestions?

3) I can get a EP 330 with the stainless grates/bars for $849 pretty much anywhere including the local ACE guy or Amazon. Amazon will ship to door free and no 6% sales tax. ACE guy is local, but with tax he's $50 more and I have to get it home/in by myself. I'm trying to decide if there's any benefit -- besides helping a local guy stay in business -- to paying more and having additional hassle.

Thanks all!

The Ace guy might assemble/deliver it? That might be worth $50.
Mine did. Also threw in a cover, which is another $50.00. I would ask before ordering from Amazon.

About the securing. I have never had a grill stolen, and I lived in a urban environment for 40 years. The most expensive gas grill I had sitting out was around $1700. If you need to secure the cable lock sounds like the best deal.
I like the cast iron grates best, but I suppose it is mostly personal preference. The Lowes version of the 330 comes with the cast iron grates/porcelain flavorizers as standard.

I have the S-330 and it's great to use. I keep it covered on my back deck, never thought about securing it. Too many other things for our neighborhood hoodlums to make off with. A gas grill is too big and they probably wouldn't get much for their effort.

Mine has the stainless grates and I like those over the porcelain. Maybe just me being hard on them, but the pair I had previously chipped and then rusted. The stainless show no wear or tear after 4 years.

As for who to buy from, you'll have to decide. $50 is a couple dinners for the grill. Or do you want to do something nice for the guy down the street. Up to you.

Another way to get a discount is to look at the big box store floor samples. When I got mine it was the only one they had. They took 10% off because it was a sample. Then I noticed a ding in one of the doors and they took another 10% off. Bought it, took it home, registered it, and Weber sent me a replacement door. One of these days I may even install it.

Hey SuburbSlicker - NOT AT THIS MOMENT, but usually there are alot of really fine grills in your area on CL - one was a Summit Nat Gas in Great Falls for $40 - this was a $2000 grill.
Maybe you have to drive to Ashburn, but they are out there.
I would get a Genesis 3-burner for like $150 and a good cover, maybe a rotisserie -
All less than $500. Good luck.

Back