2021- Texas Monthly Barbecue Top 50

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Last Texas Monthly Top 50 Barbecue published in 2017. Still have mine sitting on The coffee table. Some have come and gone. Some have gone and come back. Texas is a huge place. I live in Texas and I live closer to 4-5 other State’s Capitols. The article is 2017 (awesome reading) but the comments are more current. 2021 will bring a new Top 50 Article
The comments, gotta love the comments. One comment suggests categories-those that cook with wood and those that cook with everything else. I’m always interested in the sides and coarse ground sausage.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-list-the-top-50-barbecue-joints-in-texas/

Well TX monthly list has lost its flavor! Hutchins BBQ is blah at best last year top 5! Pick up a rib the meat falls off the bone and there’s no true smoke flavor. I don’t want the smoke flavor to over power you. But a hint of smoke flavor would be nice! If it’s top 5 Dickey’s and spring creek oughta be in the top 10! What use to be a list you could trust as the Bible itself. Has turned into a commercial list of blah blah blah blah:

I think it does a good job with the Austin joints, at least. Franklin, Micklethwait, Valentina's, LaBBQ, and Leroy and Lewis (too new last time, but talked about a lot by Daniel Vaughn). Those are mainly the best and most recognized by tmbbq recently.

Toss in Stiles Switch and related ventures and Terry Blacks and you're covering most bases for Austin, at least.

From an Okie, sitting outside observing this, I get how TM makes barbecue more fun with this list ............. but I don't get who died and made Daniel Vaughn the Barbecue God ?

Who elected TM to become the taste monitor for the state of Texas ?

Again, I can see where its fun, but it should just be fun. Its just a list. It should not make or break some of these joints whether they make the list or not.

BTW, I got an email from Texas Monthly yesterday, wanting me to join their barbecue club for $100 per year, and I would be allowed to buy special barbecue stuff .................. bwaahaha

Well TX monthly list has lost its flavor! Hutchins BBQ is blah at best last year top 5! Pick up a rib the meat falls off the bone and there’s no true smoke flavor. I don’t want the smoke flavor to over power you. But a hint of smoke flavor would be nice! If it’s top 5 Dickey’s and spring creek oughta be in the top 10! What use to be a list you could trust as the Bible itself. Has turned into a commercial list of blah blah blah blah:

Totally disagree about Hutchins. They have a unique blend of East and Central Texas that originates from the original location in Princeton that the dad ran. Tim has done a fantastic job especially over the last few years including the new location. Plus, he donated some swag to me to give away at one of our very early Texas bashes.

.. but I don't get who died and made Daniel Vaughn the Barbecue God ?

Who elected TM to become the taste monitor for the state of Texas ?....

Don't know about the "God" part but, DV is the only person I know of that spends that much time sampling different BBQ joints all over a kind of large state and then writing about the food and experience in a logical and easily read manner. He doesn't lean toward one style or another and generally seems to be calling balls and strikes like he sees them.

Regarding the "taste monitor..." I am with you on the sentiment that TM isn't the "final word" but they spend a lot of resources reviewing food made in Texas (Texas Highways does a little bit but not nearly to the extent of TM). All different styles of cooking and size of eateries (from small and cheap to fancy high dollar) are in play. TM is also the only long standing, widely published and Texas state specific publication that consistently publishes reviews written by food journalists.

Again I think we are on the same page about the idea that one person or source is not the "final word" on BBQ but TM/DV is closer to the Michelin guide for Texas BBQ than any other publication I know of.

just my $0.02

Back