2 Prime Tri-Tip’s and Oakridge Santa Maria vs. Pappy’s

exterior, check
interior, check
moisture, check

Fantastic all around my friend :thumb::thumb::thumb:

so what was your set temp for the initial cook? smoke?

Thanks! Smoke setting the entire portion of the low n slow part of the cook. Takes 3-4 hours and dries the exterior of the meat out really good for the sear.

After living in Santa Maria I have used many spices. I have used tons of Pappy's. My preferences in store bought spice for tri-tip are "Susie Q's" made by Susie Righetti, who is the daughter of the famous BBQ legend "Clarence Minetti" who owned the "Far Western Tavern" in Guadalupe, CA. My second choice is "Jocko's" spice out of Nipomo, CA---Jocko's is one of the finest steak houses in California. My third favorite is "Santa Maria Seasoning" made by "Wagon Wheel Market" in Oroville, CA. The Butler family at Wagon Wheel Market descended from a long line of butchers that worked in Santa Maria, CA.
Do not get me wrong---I am looking at the picture of the sliced tri-tip, and see long striations on the surface of the cut----it appears perhaps that the tri-tip may have been sliced parallel to the grain----slicing perpendicular to the grain seems to be the biggest challenge when cooking tri-tip. We have all been down that road. Everything else looks superb---thanks for the photos and the input on "store bought" spices. Pappy's is an awesome spice---and can be bought anywhere.

After living in Santa Maria I have used many spices. I have used tons of Pappy's. My preferences in store bought spice for tri-tip are "Susie Q's" made by Susie Righetti, who is the daughter of the famous BBQ legend "Clarence Minetti" who owned the "Far Western Tavern" in Guadalupe, CA. My second choice is "Jocko's" spice out of Nipomo, CA---Jocko's is one of the finest steak houses in California. My third favorite is "Santa Maria Seasoning" made by "Wagon Wheel Market" in Oroville, CA. The Butler family at Wagon Wheel Market descended from a long line of butchers that worked in Santa Maria, CA.
Do not get me wrong---I am looking at the picture of the sliced tri-tip, and see long striations on the surface of the cut----it appears perhaps that the tri-tip may have been sliced parallel to the grain----slicing perpendicular to the grain seems to be the biggest challenge when cooking tri-tip. We have all been down that road. Everything else looks superb---thanks for the photos and the input on "store bought" spices. Pappy's is an awesome spice---and can be bought anywhere.

Thanks for the great info!! The pic of the sliced tri-tip was taken right after I had cut it down the middle AND before I had rotated to slice against the grain. I fixed my description to read more accurately :)

That's looks absolutely delicious. Question, can the Pappy's be used as a general purpose rub for ribs, butts.chicken,etc or is it formulated for tri tip/beef? Thanks and nice job.

Man that’s solid work there! Not sure if Pappys is something we can even get in Colorado but anything that can beat OakRidge Santa Maria has to be legit. Thanks for the taste test!

Man that’s solid work there! Not sure if Pappys is something we can even get in Colorado but anything that can beat OakRidge Santa Maria has to be legit. Thanks for the taste test!

I know guys that use it on much more than tri-tip... but just to be clear, I absolutely believe that Oakridge is the better rub in the sense that it’s gonna be way more versatile for my families tastes. Not sure why, but tri-tip and Pappys are just a match made in heaven for us. It’s easy to get...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ODE1PQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_suKBEbAMT8G0J

That's looks absolutely delicious. Question, can the Pappy's be used as a general purpose rub for ribs, butts.chicken,etc or is it formulated for tri tip/beef? Thanks and nice job.

I know guys that use it on lots of things. Personally, it is my go to tri tip rub. It’s a bit “punchy” for other things. Personal preference.

Check out the amazon reviews and you’ll see that it’s loved for more than just tri tip. To each their own :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ODE1PQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_suKBEbAMT8G0J

Great job on the tri-tips! Not too surprising that salt wins. I really thought Oakridge would take it though. The rub is just so much more fragrant out of the bag. Most of the Pappys I use is in mixtures. I use it like a base mix that takes the salt slot in whatever I’m mixing up. For ribs I mix it up with some granulated garlic, onion powder, smoked paprika, touch of lemon pepper, touch of granulated ginger, granulated honey for a great rib rub.

Beautiful cook, rw!!

And awesome comparo. Thanks for the great info! I bought some rubs from the Oakridge sale, including Santa Maria. I also have a prime tri-tip that's burning a hole in my freezer. I think I might enhance it with some kosher salt based on your results.

Back