2 day comp questions

TroyA65

is one Smokin' Farker
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get in an early season comp here in the midwest and I was hoping you could give me some insight on 2 day comps. Specifically I'm looking at Westmont, IL (Red, White & BBQ) and Appleton, WI. (Masters in May)

Here are my questions.

1. Are the 2 day events really 2 separate events on the same weekend / location (so I could enter one and not the other) or is it one ongoing event(and if so what does the schedule look like)?

2. If they are separate any thought on day 1 vs day 2?

3. I think these are both well run/well thought of events but any thoughts on either comp would be appreciated.

Thanks!

That is strange, I've never seen a 2 day comp like that. But if you look at the cooks application for Red, White & BBQ, it seems to me the "real" comp is Sunday, Saturday is optional if you are registered for Sunday.

2 day contests are great. Especially in the beginning of the season to knock off the rust. You get 2 cooks in without having to move sites. As far as cooking 1 or the other, you can do that but I have always cooked both. If I am going to spend the money and time to get there, I am going to do both contests. I have cooked masters in may a few times and it is a great contest. They make you feel very welcomed at the event.

The only downfall to the double headers is getting up for work on Monday morning.

Are there two separate meat inspections for those doing both comps at a double or can you get it all out of the way on Friday for both?
Basically, can you start working your Sunday meats on Friday night when you're doing your Saturday meats?

Are there two separate meat inspections for those doing both comps at a double or can you get it all out of the way on Friday for both?
Basically, can you start working your Sunday meats on Friday night when you're doing your Saturday meats?

The double schedules I have seen list meat inspection on Saturday.

There are 2 separate meat inspections. Friday/Saturday is one contest with normal timelines (cooks meeting, meat inspections, turn ins). On Saturday morning, if the organizer is good they will begin inspecting Saturday/Sundays meats at 7-8 am. After turn ins, you clean up and get ready to cook all over again. Awards are usually at 3 or 4, then the hole thing repeats itself.

KCBS rules allow meat inspection no earlier than the day before turn in.

How are the rules for judge fraternization applied, For example it is cut off Friday night for Sat contests. Does that extend into the Sunday contest or reset Sat night ?

How are the rules for judge fraternization applied, For example it is cut off Friday night for Sat contests. Does that extend into the Sunday contest or reset Sat night ?

After judging is done on Saturday, the judges can talk to the teams until 12:00am Sunday.

I'm on the Westmont BBQ comittee. There are 2 comps that weekend for the pros. Friday/Saturday and Saturday/Sunday. To cook in the Friday/Saturday contest, you also have to cook the other. But the Friday/Saturday isn't required to only cook the other. We did the want teams pulling out in the middle finger the event after cooking the first contest. We also give a discount to cook the first contest.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm on the Westmont BBQ comittee. There are 2 comps that weekend for the pros. Friday/Saturday and Saturday/Sunday. To cook in the Friday/Saturday contest, you also have to cook the other. But the Friday/Saturday isn't required to only cook the other. We did the want teams pulling out in the middle finger the event after cooking the first contest. We also give a discount to cook the first contest.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Westmont is easy to win too. You just have to beat Darren Warth!

Since the topic is 2 day events can anyone say is the Fredericksburg VA event is handled the same way. I would suppose it is but for the record....

Dave

2 day comp is not really the right term. These are double contests ie 2 separate events held at the same location on back to back days.

Yes Fredricksburg is the same way. 2 separate events.

Back