1st time trying "homemade" pizza, because yalls look so good

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
So I want to start off by saying I know nothing about doing a homemade pizza, but seeing all of them on here lately I wanted to give it a go. So I bought the pictured goods. Also, wanted to try a pizza on the pellet grill to see what the buzz was all about. First I whiffed on the crust. Bought Pillsbury crescent roll dough instead of pizza dough. It was still good but could tell the difference. I cooked the sausage about 75% done before applying to the pizza. The sauce I got was good, but a little sweet. Instead of getting spaghetti sauce will go with marinara next time. Cooking the pizza in the pellet grill, I now know what the buzz is all about. It blew my mind the smoke imparted at 425*. My wife said from now on if we have time we are cooking pizzas on it.
All in all the pizza was good will make tweaks and will definitely try again. Thanks for looking and for the ideas.

Question I don't have much interest in making my own dough, are there any good store bought brands? I don't have a Trader Joe's near me, I've seen talk about theirs.
d5891494ce5159d19a5aa1a3acd68ce4.jpg
467ceff87bccfe39627dfc1e06c365ec.jpg
25dc253e61879c2d0077b2c1bb2edec3.jpg
e37deb738ec8625e69c706734771dcd5.jpg

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk

Some people buy the dough from their favorite pizza place. Most places are happy to sell you some. It isn't hard to make though, water, AP or bread flour, salt and yeast, how hard can that be?

Looking good.
A good dough is the base of any good pizza and it is crazy easy to make.
But if you don't want to make it your self if you talk to a manager at one of your local pizza places they will sell you dough balls more than likely.

While homemade dough is definitely better, it is definitely a little bit of work to make. It was also pretty intimidating, at least from my own perspective, the first time you try it if you donā€™t have much experience with dough.

Havenā€™t done it in several years, but there are various ā€œjust add waterā€ kits you can get that are pretty easy for the dough. I remember them turning out a pretty decent crust. Not on the level of homemade dough for sure, but still yields a good overall homemade pizza.

That looks like it came out perfect.

Weā€™ve been making our own dough and sauce for years.

Making your own dough isnā€™t really a big deal. Give it a try, you will be surprised how easy it is. About a year ago we tried DeLallo pizza dough kit and pizza sauce and found that it is really good stuff and it is now our go to for home made pizza. Itā€™s from Italy and a lot of supermarkets by me started carrying it about a year or two ago.

If you ask, some pizza shops will sell you the dough, sauce, and cheese to make your own pizza at home. It is a fun thing to do with the kids. When I make pizza for kids I sometimes make a bunch of smaller doughs so the kids can make thier own pizzas. Yes, that activity gets messy!

I like to shred a block of Polly-o mozzarella and mix it 50/50 with sharp cheddar. This is the secret ingredient in tomato pies that they sell in Trenton NJ. If you do this put the cheese on first then the sauce. They do it that way on Trenton tomato pies because the cheddar makes it slightly greasy (in a good way flavor wise) but the cheese can pull off with the first bite if you put it on top of the sauce.

Last edited:
You should have seen my first attempts at making pizza, they often resembled an amoeba... Now, we pressure can our own pizza sauce, and Mrs ~t~ blind bakes crusts and freezes them (which is not that hard). With pre-made crusts handy, it takes longer for my Big Green Egg to come up to 400Ā° than it does to make a pizza. They cook in 12 to 14 minutes. AND, if it's a two two-topping pie I just use a raised grate, with more toppings I'll use the heat deflector or a pizza stone.

PslPbjD.jpg

FeE7GPU.jpg

Thats a good idea...I usually like a NY style dough when making Homemade pizza but do like a thin crust some times. What is you recipe/procees on your crusts?

Gonna try this...looks like an easy enough version of a thin crispy crust pizza.

The video makes it fool proof.

There are some good pizza crust mixes in the grocery store that only require mixing in hot water. They are a huge step up from the Pillsbury in the picture, but require only minimal additional effort.

Some people buy the dough from their favorite pizza place. Most places are happy to sell you some. It isn't hard to make though, water, AP or bread flour, salt and yeast, how hard can that be?

I thanked yer post...such simplicity...I still struggle at crust...crusty bastard..

-D

Back