1st go at bacon

Rocky, did you smoke the bellies yet? And a ? In Charcuterie, Ruhlmans Maple Cured Smoked bacon recipe calls for 2tsp of pink salt for 5lbs of pork belly... sausagemaker.com says 1tsp cure#1 per 5lbs... I believe this is what I have read most places. Go with 1tsp or follow the recipe?

Four brined belies on the UDS right now.
Will leave on 'till I turn in . Maybe a total of 9 hrs @ 150/175+-
Internal 155 .I'll post pron tomorrow.

Rocky

Rocky, did you smoke the bellies yet? And a ? In Charcuterie, Ruhlmans Maple Cured Smoked bacon recipe calls for 2tsp of pink salt for 5lbs of pork belly... sausagemaker.com says 1tsp cure#1 per 5lbs... I believe this is what I have read most places. Go with 1tsp or follow the recipe?
Follow the recipe. The Ruhlman recipe is for a dry rub cure. The 1 tsp/5lbs is generally for mixing with ground meat to make sausage.

Additional: Nitrates/Nitrates VS salt and sugar only:

If you use nitrates, you can pull at 150F safely. If you do not, then you need to go to 165F.

Just basic health and safety issue you need to keep in mond. The flavour, what's better, the colour etc.. is all subjective. In my opinion, if you follow the basic rules, andything you make will be better than anything you can buy in a supermarket.

Cheers!

Bill

Back