10th Cook on WSM 22.5": Pulled Pork from Two Boneless Pork Necks + Dessert [pr0n inside]

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Featured products:

• Pulled Pork from two European Style "Pork Necks without Bone without Speck" with a total weight of 14.91 lbs
  • Self made Rub
  • Self made Sauce
  • Injection of Fresh Pear Juice & Canola Emulsion
  • Some Foil-Baked Potatoes (for the kids)
  • Two White Chocolate Pies
  • Self-made Vanilla Ice Cream (not ready yet)
Setup:

• WSM 22.5"
  • Tarrington House Charcoal Briquettes (a brand name owned by a Germany based wholesale supermarket chain)
  • Charcoal Ring completely filled for Minion Method without depression and 20 lit briquettes spread evenly on top
  • Six fist-sized Apple Wood Chunks
  • Cooking Scheme: Pork Necks till done / pulled at IT 210°F + resting in cooler for several hours
  • Overnight cook started on Friday at 10 p.m. for products to be ready on Saturday at noon
  • Actual cooking temp zone 250-300°F
  • Maverick ET-732
  • Foiled 18" Clay Saucer in foiled Water Pan without Water
Pork necks without bone without speck before unpacking
01_pork_necks_without_bone_without_speck_7_30_7_61_lbs.jpg

1st and 2nd batch of vinegar based sauce
02_1st_and_2nd_batch_of_vinegar_based_sauce.jpg

Pork necks after injecting ready for rubbing
03_pork_necks_after_injecting_ready_for_rubbing.jpg

Charcoal ring partly filled with apple wood chunks
04_charcoal_ring_partly_filled_with_apple_wood.jpg

Charcoal ring completely filled for Minion Method without depression
05_charcoal_ring_minion.jpg

Charcoal ring with 20 lit briquettes spread evenly on top
06_charcoal_ring_lit.jpg

Pork necks on upper cooking grate with Maverick probes attached
07_pork_butts_on_upper_grate.jpg

Pork necks ready after 11 hours
08_pork_necks_ready_after_11_hours.jpg

Pork neck after resting ready for pulling
09_pork_neck_after_resting.jpg

Pulled pork closeup
10_pulled_pork.jpg

Money muscle closeup
11_money_muscle.jpg

One of the two white chocolate pies
12_white_chocolate_pie.jpg

White chocolate pie closeup
13_white_chocolate_pie_closeup.jpg

Charcoal ring after 19 hours showing fuel consumption (still burning)
14_charcoal_ring_after_19_hours.jpg

Overview of already cleaned up 'Q'ing area before thunderstorm
15_overview_before_thunderstorm.jpg

Incoming thunderstorm
16_incoming_thunderstorm.jpg

Result:

Once again some outstanding food and an amazing overall experience. The pork necks went straight to an IT of 210°F within 11 hours (I was sleeping the whole night and didn't even peek at the Maverick receiver), no foiling needed with a superior bark to my last cook with foiling, and probe tenderness in every spot. The pulled pork had such an extraordinary flavor, it was best eaten pure without sauce without bun and without side-dishes. It was much better than last time, most likely due to more rub applied, more fresh pear juice & canola emulsion injections, and a much nicer even crispy bark. Of course I also ate it with the vinegar based sauce, which was a perfect fit for that product. Needless to say that the white chocolate pie was the dot on the "i". :grin:

The self-made vanilla ice cream is destined for tomorrow, I just prepped the custard today, which will go into our Cuisine Art ICE-50BC Ice Cream Maker tomorrow morning (I'll post some nice mouth watering photos in this thread later).

Remarks:

• Instead of pork neck I wanted to try the "pork shoulder roast without bone without skin" this weekend, but had to change the plan because someone in front of me at the fresh meat department of the local Metro wholesale-supermarket bought their whole stock of ~ 55 lbs! :mad2:
  • I had strange troubles starting the fire this time, although I did everything as I always did so far. After dumping the 20 lit briquettes, the fire somehow killed itself, resulting in a temp drop after reaching ~ 168°F. Due to the lack of a weed burner to give it a good push, I had to start another 20 briquettes in the chimney, and had to leave all intakes wide open for more than an hour to reach 250°F. I have no idea about the cause, but I guess my wife somehow managed to water the charcoal ring when hosing the bushes behind the 'Q'ing area. Lesson learned, and one more reason to order a weed burner.
  • I had to use briquettes instead of lump again, because I did not have enough lump left. I am going to fetch a large delivery of the previously mentioned Natural Lemon Tree Charcoal next week, and I already ordered a second charcoal grate for preventing smaller parts of lump falling through the grate, which is destined to arrive next week as well.
  • As always I wanted to stick with a cooking temp of 225°F, but after the troubles starting the fire it stayed around 245°F before I went to sleep, and was around 290°F when I woke up. Nevertheless a perfect outcome, suggesting that it is not that important to be fixed on a certain target temp.
  • The foil-baked potatoes went on after the pork necks were pulled, together with a failed trial of Creme Brulee, and my wife forgot to close the top vent afterwards, which is why the charcoal was still on fire after 19 hours.
  • That easy-up pavilion was a really good investment, it even managed every storm so far without any damage.
Any comments / thoughts are highly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Sounds like you need to befriend the person who bought the 55 lbs.!!!:thumb:

Well done, Sir! That is some excellent looking grub!:clap:

Fark the pork, I'll take a couple of those pies.

It all looks good. Great job there. :clap:

Fark the pork, I'll take a couple of those pies.
Yes, that pie is to die for, we call it "Heaven on Earth" for good reason. :-D

As if we didn't already have enough food for this weekend, I started the ice cream production today in the morning. Here is some more p0rn for your convenience:

The Cuisine Art Professional Ice Cream Maker
17_cuisine_art_professional_ice_cream_maker.jpg

Our jar of self made Vanilla Extract made from Mexican and Tahitian Vanilla Beans (must be worth a fortune)
18_self_made_vanilla_extract.jpg

I prepped the custard yesterday, as it needed to rest in the fridge for soaking the added Mexican Vanilla Beans to get as much flavor as possible.
19_vanilla_custard.jpg

First quart ready after one hour
20_vanilla_ice_cream.jpg

And this is the finished product: Three quarts of the finest Vanilla Ice Cream you can imagine, we call it "heavenly" :grin:
21_three_quarts_of_vanilla_ice_cream.jpg

Back