• The Western Bacon Cheeseburger: Upgraded for 2017 with Lefty's Seasoned Rings, Applewood Smoked Bacon, Grass Fed Beef Patty & Double Cheese

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
I posted another Western Bacon Cheeseburger cook a while back, but used my iphone in poor lighting. Since there's a Cheeseburger Throwdown running right now, I thought I would redo it with good pics and all. Also used the Blackstone Griddle for the bacon, buns, and meat.

The Carl's Jr Western Bacon Cheeseburger was pretty much the only fast food burger I would eat back in the day, at least before I discovered In 'n Out. The burger is simple, but packs a major flavor wallop. Here's how it's built:

Bottom bun, with a light mayo slather
Meat patty
Cheese
Onion rings
BBQ Sauce
Top bun

First, we started on the bacon:

DSC_0846_zpsz3qazi7p.jpg

When the bacon was finished, The Missus started on the rings. Sliced up some onions:

DSC_0840_zpsnfiadnnh.jpg

Lefty's is our go-to seasoning mix for fried chicken. It's beyond awesome! A while back, we decided to use it for onion rings and have never looked back. I also heard about it here on the Brethren from another member. Here's what the bag looks like:

DSC_0849_zpslspcr3w4.jpg

Mixture ready for the rings:

DSC_0848_zpsvyuicv7a.jpg

And into the deep fryer to create crispy goodness:

DSC_0853_zpsd54znkr0.jpg

The Missus actually fries them in two steps so the onions cook fully:

1. Light par cook, then rest for 10 minutes
2. Finishing cook to get them nice and crispy

When the rings were finished, they went into the oven to keep warm.

Then seasoned up two 1/4lb patties with seasoned salt and black pepper:

DSC_0852_zpsfelsvpgs.jpg

I cranked the Blackstone up full blast, and put the meat on:

DSC_0855_zpsqic1h8hr.jpg

I didn't take any more pics of the meat cooking as the lighting was poor.

Time to build the burger:

Bottom bun, light mayo slather:

DSC_0857_zpsvno9ubpy.jpg

Now the meat patty & double cheese on top:

DSC_0858_zpscuyuzdpp.jpg

Now added the bacon:

DSC_0859_zpswv0ryq4l.jpg

Then the onion rings:

DSC_0860_zpslkqnblma.jpg

And now a generous drizzle of Stubb's regular:

DSC_0861_zps29weurhl.jpg

TD%20Pic%201_zpsqtpbyney.jpg

Burger fully assembled:

DSC_0864_zpslfzivkra.jpg

And finally, the burger in a basket with a nice helping of rings:

DSC_0868_zpsxkyuwtz1.jpg

Had to take a couple of bites before I finally put my camera away and sat down to eat:

DSC_0870_zps5ey3bwth.jpg

It was fan-farkingtastic! The soft bun, double cheese, light airy onion rings, juicy patty and slightly crisp bacon created an incredible texture backdrop against all the amazing flavors happening at the same time. I would actually have the same exact dinner tonight, but I think that's going to be a hard sell with The Missus. :rolleyes:

Thanks fer lookin'!

Last edited:
Just amazing Moose, tell Mrs. Moose kudos on some incredible looking rings.

That looks awesome, Moose! I LOVE a CJ's Western Bacon Cheeseburger. A double with heavy pepper, and some ranch dressing makes for a great hangover breakfast, or so I've been told.

Matt

Burger and fries are my favorite meal ever, and this looks better than anything I've ever had.
Also, are you using a professional camera for these pics, they look very good. I have a Canon Rebel t5i but haven't used it much.

Burger and fries are my favorite meal ever, and this looks better than anything I've ever had.
Also, are you using a professional camera for these pics, they look very good. I have a Canon Rebel t5i but haven't used it much.

Thanks! I wouldn't say I'm using a pro camera, just a lower end DSLR Nikon D3200. For this shoot, I used a Tamron 18-200 zoom, which is WAY better than the stock Nikon zoom that comes with the base kit. I should have used my Nikon 35mm portrait lens for last few shots, as it takes amazing pics even though it was just under $200.

Looks awesome! I think I am going to the store now and get some leftys and making onion rings with my steak tonight!!!

You can actually get Lefty's at your local store? I've never seen it around here - had to order it online. Used to get it from Amazon, then the price went through the roof. Checked online and was able to get it from Walmart with free ship to store. :thumb:

That looks awesome, Moose! I LOVE a CJ's Western Bacon Cheeseburger. A double with heavy pepper, and some ranch dressing makes for a great hangover breakfast, or so I've been told.

Matt

Thanks, Matt!

Everything looks awesome Moose but wow those onion rings!

That burger looks awesome... but those RINGS.... divine!

Well done, indeed!

Back