• Low Temp Neo - New York Style Pizza

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
In my ongoing testing of various pizza dough recipes and techniques, I recently found one that caught my eye on the pizzamaking.com:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=68650.msg663718#msg663718

The photo certainly had a lot to do with it, so I gave it a whirl. After making the dough, it went into the fridge for a 48 hour cold rise.

Pizza assembly begins by working the dough into a even round:

oKIUECg.jpg

Once I got the dough in my hands it opened up quickly, within 30 seconds, so I got it on the peel:

cFjzfas.jpg

Sauce:

9dgCNZ9.jpg

KlEXRXn.jpg

Cheese, starting with a dusting of Parmesan over the sauce, them shredded low moisture mozz:

txQJEab.jpg

EFdeNyz.jpg

Pepperoni:

LSjHm8i.jpg

Pizza went into the Blackstone at the lowest temp I’ve EVER cooked a pizza, a mere 550 degrees.

Cooking nicely:

fwisIhP.jpg

Out of the oven, sliced with some fresh chopped basil:

zQoGLBU.jpg

All in all, it turned out well – crust browned up nicely and was really flavorful, but tender, perhaps a bit much, so it was kind of like a Neapolitan/NY style, which I think was the point of the recipe. So the flavor got an “A”, but the crust’s firmness was lacking for me, so a “B -“there. Still looking for the “keeper” NY style dough, though.

I have never seen Diastatic Malt in any bread recipe I have made so this is interesting.
Did you use it here?
My attempts at dough and recent Italian bread loaf have been too dense, and I wonder if that malt would help.

I like the looks of that dough.

Oh yeah!

I've been taking some queues from your pizza cooks and I haven't been disappointed. My recent one was the 3-1lb combo to make to larger pies. Came out excellent in the oven and can't wait to try it in the Blackstone. Put a pic of it in the WPT thread in WP.

Nice pie Moose. That is my current dough recipe as well except I use 100g of sour dough starter instead of the IDY.

I have never seen Diastatic Malt in any bread recipe I have made so this is interesting.
Did you use it here?
My attempts at dough and recent Italian bread loaf have been too dense, and I wonder if that malt would help.

I like the looks of that dough.

Mike, I did use the diastatic malt in this batch per the recipe - it's usually used as a browning agent.There's a lot of reasons why dough becomes dense, this may help you troubleshoot:

https://www.busbysbakery.com/bread-too-dense-how-to-improve-bread/

Looks delicious, Richard! I need to fire up my oven, thanks for the inspiration!

Back