• Beefy, Cheesy, Crunchy Goodness – Griddle Fried Beef Birria Tacos on the Flat Top

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
A few weeks ago, we decided to give beef birria(a savory Mexican beef stew with a rich chile broth sauce) and were really pleased with the results. We really liked the spice notes of cinnamon and cumin. So, we decided to give it a go again, this time with the intention of making Beef Birria Tacos. These tacos have become quite popular at many Mexican restaurants in the past few years, and for good reason – they are hearty, simple, and super tasty. The tacos are often deep fried, though sometimes pan or griddle fried, which is what I opted to do. The tacos are packed with cheese, then finished with cilantro and onions and a little cup of the chile broth to dip the tacos in as they are eaten.

Getting started:

A 4.5 lb beef chuck was first seared in the Weber kettle, then placed in a clay pot with the chile mixture to slow cook in the oven for about 4 hours. After that, we separated the meat from the chile broth/sauce:

Then the meat was pulled and lightly shredded:

Got the tortillas out:

Then started working on the basics of taco construction. Tortillas warming:

Tacos loaded with meat and cheese after the first turn:

Getting close now:

And all served up with a side of chile broth and spicy salsa roja:

Closer:

The tacos were delicious and filling – I ate two more after I gobbled up the first two! They had a crunch that was approaching deep fried, without the extra oil.

Here’s the recipe, which I highly recommend:

https://themodernproper.com/beef-birria-recipe

Excellent looking treats! Thanks also for sharing the recipe. Have printed and am planning a cook!

Bruce

Back