The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
parrdist
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Brisket Help

I need some advice, have a 7LB brisket that I'm going make for the Mother in laws birthday Sunday. I want to cook this Friday on the UDS. Now the question what the best way to keep this till Sunday. Do I slice it or leave it whole, also how is the best way to reheat? I know you guys will be able to help, Thanks in advance.

Unread 01-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
btcg
Babbling Farker

5 days away? Maybe better freeze it now and defrost saturday, to be safe.

[FONT=Courier New][I]Proud Graduate of:[/I][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Jack's Old South BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Johnny Trigg & Rod Gray BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Courier New][B]Paul Kirk BBQ Cooking School[/B][/FONT][/I]
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

if it's in a cryo, i would just keep it in a good cold spot. For me this is my mud porch :( Usually that means the bottom shelf of the fridge, crammed all the way to the back.

Now for the cook and hold. I have not done this. I know the more experienced Brethren will chime in. But let me take a stab. I think i would leave it whole, kept in the fridge once it came down to room. Then I would slice it cold on Sunday (probably a bit on the thin side), and reheat in an oven with a bunch of sauce. People love saucy stuff. You wont be winning any comps, but I bet you will win over the crowd.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2

I have done exactly what you're planning with some success this way:

Cook it all the way to done on Friday, then wrap in foil and rest for at least an hour. If you have a FoodSaver, now you can vacuum seal the whole brisket and put it in the refrigerator (it will be OK for two days). If you don't have a FoodSaver, just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, but put it in a dish, it may leak.

On Sunday, put it in a roasting pan with about a half a cup of beef broth and cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Put it in the oven at 225* to bring it slowly up to an internal temp of 165*. If I recall correctly, this should take between an hour and an hour and a half, but I don't remember the size or temp of the brisket I did, so you'll have to keep an eye on things. When you get up to temperature, take it out, rest it again right in the covered pan for about 20 minutes then slice.

It won't be exactly the same as it was on Friday, but it will be pretty close. I don't think you'll get any complaints!

Good luck!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Bob's Hogs. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller

http://TheHogBlog.com
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

If it's in cryo, it will be just fine waiting that long. If not, 3 days isn't really pushing it that badly as long as it was purchased today, but if you are worried you could always follow dry aging methods for those 3 days to get it to last until Friday with peace of your mind.
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bob View Post
I have done exactly what you're planning with some success this way:

Cook it all the way to done on Friday, then wrap in foil and rest for at least an hour. If you have a FoodSaver, now you can vacuum seal the whole brisket and put it in the refrigerator (it will be OK for two days). If you don't have a FoodSaver, just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, but put it in a dish, it may leak.

On Sunday, put it in a roasting pan with about a half a cup of beef broth and cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Put it in the oven at 225* to bring it slowly up to an internal temp of 165*. If I recall correctly, this should take between an hour and an hour and a half, but I don't remember the size or temp of the brisket I did, so you'll have to keep an eye on things. When you get up to temperature, take it out, rest it again right in the covered pan for about 20 minutes then slice.

It won't be exactly the same as it was on Friday, but it will be pretty close. I don't think you'll get any complaints!

Good luck!
+ 1 - use this method.
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
parrdist
Full Fledged Farker

I want to thank everyone for your help. The Mother in Laws 77th Birthday lunch was perfect.I followed Mister Bob's advice cooked the brisket Friday let it cool then wrapped and put in the fridge. Sunday warmed it to 160degrees with some beef broth. To be honest it was a little dry, but served some sauce on the side and everyone Raved.Thanks again for the great advice.

Unread 01-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

congrats on the success!

Unread 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2

I'm glad it worked out for you!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Bob's Hogs. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller

http://TheHogBlog.com
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Love it!
Carolina Pit Master
http://patio-q.com/
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #11