The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
SLCMACK
On the road to being a farker

Default Jerky-quick answers please!

Got the jerky on the smoker and temps are anywhere from 150-200. Any idea how long I should leave this on for. Thanks

Old 01-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
SLCMACK
On the road to being a farker

well shieeet, trial and error I guess on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
BobBrisket

I don't worry about the temp I'm cooking at for jerky. Made it with temps as high as 275-300.
Being that it's thin sliced, it takes on smoke quickly. I go by the "dryness" of the jerky. Once it's at the desired dryness or jerkiness (if that's even a word), just pull it off. Higher temps will get it done faster.

Jerky really gets all of its flavor from the marinade, spices, etc that you used and a little from the smoke. The heat is just there to dry it out.
UDS, PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #4
harry989
Got rid of the matchlight.

lol wish I would have saw this yesterday I burt a batch to a crisp after only 3hrs needless to say it was sliced to thin
harry989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCMACK View Post
Got the jerky on the smoker and temps are anywhere from 150-200. Any idea how long I should leave this on for. Thanks
4 to 6 hours. When checking for doneness put it in the fridge first to cool it.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
BobBrisket

When using the drum or WSM and running it hot, it can be done within an hour or so. When using my Lil Chief, (much lower temp) it will go 3+. Bottom line is, my kids can't wait 3+ hours when I make jerky, hence, I go with higher temps. The other bottom line is that if you have kids, they will EAT ALL of it faster than you can make it if you used high temp! That I guarantee.
UDS, PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote