עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 02-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #31
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

 
drbbq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-26-04
Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Looks like the end of the loin to me.
__________________
Ray Lampe
Dr. BBQ
The Honey Badger of BBQ. I just don't give a sh!t.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #32
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!
 
Ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-14-07
Location: Lakeland Florida
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
I hope they put something out on this. I know Ford said they were voting on it.. but I didn't see anything specific in the agenda.. unless is was in the referenced attachment that isn't posted.
Wha t i posted was cut and paste from the agenda. The proposal was to create a rep advisory.
__________________
Ford
Retired competition cook. BBQ mentor.
Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #33
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Marietta, Ohio
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Yup.. My bad. Not sure how I missed it the first couple times.
__________________
4000 sq inch Wood Burner named Brutus - KCSB member/judge# 32129
roksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #34
Juggy D Beerman
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 09-18-06
Location: Warrensburg, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post


This is a shoulder that is separated from the loin at the 4th and 5th rib as opposed to the 2nd rib break that is more conventional in the US.
I agree with drbbq. By reading the description and looking at the last picture, there is definitely loin meat in that shoulder cut. If this is a legal cut for KCBS contests, what is going to stop someone from going further down the spine and separating to the 6th or 7th rib, allowing even more loin meat.
Juggy D Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #35
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Marietta, Ohio
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Things are going to get way more complicated if we have to begin determining which rib your particular processor decided to cut on. I still say.. Who cares? If it weighs 5 lbs, it's fine...it's still BBQ.

In any event... We'll hear a clarification soon enough.
__________________
4000 sq inch Wood Burner named Brutus - KCSB member/judge# 32129
roksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #36
Juggy D Beerman
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 09-18-06
Location: Warrensburg, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
Things are going to get way more complicated if we have to begin determining which rib your particular processor decided to cut on. I still say.. Who cares? If it weighs 5 lbs, it's fine...it's still BBQ.

In any event... We'll hear a clarification soon enough.
Rock, I care. I go back so far in the contest circuit that I remember when loin meat was a legal pork entry. I am not a trained butcher by any means, but I have cut up many a hog. Meat harvested from the area above the ribs is loin meat.

As long as the KCBS has had rules, there have been people circumventing them or looking for loopholes. IMO, the KCBS has two options. Tighten up their description of shoulder meat, by defining how the shoulder is cut/butchered. The other option is as drbbq suggested. Drop the shoulder rule entirely and allow all cuts of pork (excluding ribs) that weigh at least five pounds when they go on the smoker.
Juggy D Beerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #37
Scottie
Babbling Farker
 
Scottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-06
Location: Chi-Town
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Exactly why folks use it for slicing... Plus the white meat (loin) it surrounded by darkmeat as well. So you get the best of both worlds. White loin meat, surrounded by dark meat and fat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Looks like the end of the loin to me.
__________________
cancersuckschicago.com
FROM SEA TO SHINING SEA BBQ TOUR

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #38
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 01-11-08
Location: Nashville
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

If they don't pass a five pound non-rib pork rule (Isn't that how it used to be?) I would still like some clarification on pieces of meat not labeled as "Boston Butt" being legal.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #39
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
swamprb's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-27-06
Location: Bothell WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
No, it was Stephen Gerike - Director of Food Service Marketing, National Pork Board. Here's the pics he sent:


And here's the explanation from the email:

Rob,

The Pork Collar Butt is a European and Canadian specification for a boneless pork butt that is cut from the Pork, Outside Shoulder, Long Cut. This is a shoulder that is separated from the loin at the 4th and 5th rib as opposed to the 2nd rib break that is more conventional in the US. It’s basically a boneless butt with the blade/rib section still attached. The extra lean is what is normally sold as country style ribs. As US packers cut more pork carcasses for export, this break is becoming more prevalent. This break is used to create a shorter loin for the Japanese Market and the collar butt is a by-product of the growing export business.

Intrepret as you will.

This would seem to explain the Japanese text on the Korobuta and Wagyu shipping cases my butcher showed me. (not SRF) They sell to high end restaurants and he breaks them down, ties them and and they are cooked like loins. I posted some pics in the Comp. thread.
__________________
Brian - Left Hand Smoke BBQ PNWBA 2010 Team of the Year
BGE's/WSM's/Pellet Pro WSM/BWS Gater/BDS Clones/Cookshack 008/Weber Performer w EZ-Que/Cajun Bandit/Rib-O-Lator Test Pilot/La Caja China/BBQ Guru/Weber 1000 RK Drum Coffee Roaster
Follow Left Hand Smoke on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-H...462391?sk=wall
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #40
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Marietta, Ohio
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Wow.. never dreamed the board meeting went on for so long.
4 hours in to the mp3 you can find their answer.
The original motion was pulled and they decided to adopt the american cut standards.
__________________
4000 sq inch Wood Burner named Brutus - KCSB member/judge# 32129
roksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #41
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!
 
Ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-14-07
Location: Lakeland Florida
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
Wow.. never dreamed the board meeting went on for so long.
4 hours in to the mp3 you can find their answer.
The original motion was pulled and they decided to adopt the american cut standards.
I'm starting the download now. Does your comment mean that the collar is not legal? Seems like American Standard does not include it from all these comments above.

And I listened in on one that went until after 12:30 CST and started at 7:00
__________________
Ford
Retired competition cook. BBQ mentor.
Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #42
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Marietta, Ohio
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

They will be putting out a Rep advisory as well as an article in the bullsheet.. But the idea I got was that the cut you start with must be an american standard Whole Shoulder, Butt or Picnic. I believe it will handle the descrepancy in differing terms such as Boston Butt, Pork Butt, and Shoulder Butt. They would all be legal because they are all the same cut by american standards.
Their issue seemed to be that a collar, being from a european cut shoulder is broken on a different rib which gives it a couple extra inches of money muscle.

SRF collars were discussed and they would appear to be illegal from this point forward if they are indeed broken in european fashion.

It may put the ball in their court to prove that they are indeed breaking the primal in the correct place.

My understanding is that if you start with a legal US shoulder, you could create the same type of cut to cook and be legal, but that the emphasis was on the idea that the collar SRF is selling does include extra loin(money muscle) thus making it illegal.

I may have misunderstood some of the finer points and I guess we will all have to wait for the official word... I believe it will be in the next BullSheet.
__________________
4000 sq inch Wood Burner named Brutus - KCSB member/judge# 32129
roksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #43
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
swamprb's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-27-06
Location: Bothell WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Any word from the BOD?
__________________
Brian - Left Hand Smoke BBQ PNWBA 2010 Team of the Year
BGE's/WSM's/Pellet Pro WSM/BWS Gater/BDS Clones/Cookshack 008/Weber Performer w EZ-Que/Cajun Bandit/Rib-O-Lator Test Pilot/La Caja China/BBQ Guru/Weber 1000 RK Drum Coffee Roaster
Follow Left Hand Smoke on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-H...462391?sk=wall
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #44
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-04
Location: DFW, San AntonioTx
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
They will be putting out a Rep advisory as well as an article in the bullsheet.. But the idea I got was that the cut you start with must be an american standard Whole Shoulder, Butt or Picnic. I believe it will handle the descrepancy in differing terms such as Boston Butt, Pork Butt, and Shoulder Butt. They would all be legal because they are all the same cut by american standards.
Their issue seemed to be that a collar, being from a european cut shoulder is broken on a different rib which gives it a couple extra inches of money muscle.

SRF collars were discussed and they would appear to be illegal from this point forward if they are indeed broken in european fashion.

It may put the ball in their court to prove that they are indeed breaking the primal in the correct place.

My understanding is that if you start with a legal US shoulder, you could create the same type of cut to cook and be legal, but that the emphasis was on the idea that the collar SRF is selling does include extra loin(money muscle) thus making it illegal.

I may have misunderstood some of the finer points and I guess we will all have to wait for the official word... I believe it will be in the next BullSheet.
I listened, and the board agreed to adopt the definitions as proposed by the pork board. There is also a rep advisory that will go out.

Now to me that says you better show up with a cut that's approved. I also understand, that somebody is still going to show up with a collar that's either inspected or in their backup cooler and as long as they don't get caught they will cook it. At this point, it's on the cooks to police themselves.

Speaking for myself, I received a pork collar that I ordered to see what the difference was. What I got was not a traditional butt, and it did contain additional meat that I believe could lead to a competitive advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Any word from the BOD?
It's in the podcast available to members. Standard US cuts as defined by the pork board are legal.
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #45
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
swamprb's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-27-06
Location: Bothell WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I listened, and the board agreed to adopt the definitions as proposed by the pork board. There is also a rep advisory that will go out.

Now to me that says you better show up with a cut that's approved. I also understand, that somebody is still going to show up with a collar that's either inspected or in their backup cooler and as long as they don't get caught they will cook it. At this point, it's on the cooks to police themselves.

Speaking for myself, I received a pork collar that I ordered to see what the difference was. What I got was not a traditional butt, and it did contain additional meat that I believe could lead to a competitive advantage.



It's in the podcast available to members. Standard US cuts as defined by the pork board are legal.

So, a Boneless Butt Collar Trim over 5lbs is legal if it is cut and wrapped in the US?
__________________
Brian - Left Hand Smoke BBQ PNWBA 2010 Team of the Year
BGE's/WSM's/Pellet Pro WSM/BWS Gater/BDS Clones/Cookshack 008/Weber Performer w EZ-Que/Cajun Bandit/Rib-O-Lator Test Pilot/La Caja China/BBQ Guru/Weber 1000 RK Drum Coffee Roaster
Follow Left Hand Smoke on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-H...462391?sk=wall
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
non trimmed spares ? Mark_d Q-talk 16 07-28-2010 03:27 PM
Trimmed Brisket jefflouella Q-talk 6 07-02-2010 02:12 PM
Pre Trimmed Transformer BBQ Competition BBQ 17 09-05-2007 10:34 AM
Whole Vs trimmed. Norcoredneck Q-talk 6 06-03-2007 07:45 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.