The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Does Size Matter, or is it all how you use your meat?

SRF used to sell just one product called Wagyu Brisket. Recently that changed into three different products:
  • Under 14 pounds
  • 14-17 pounds
  • Over 17 pounds
The under 14 pounds description reads "Hand selected for size and consistency specifically for professional barbecuers."

Is there an advantage or disadvantage in using larger or smaller packer cuts?

I have always leaned toward using the larger cuts for competition. Is there a real reason to use the smaller cuts, or is this an output of the SRF marketing machine? ("What do we do with these tiny briskets? Hey, maybe those BBQ freaks will buy 'em!")

Given that SRF is also selling 4 pound pork collars as good for competition BBQ, perhaps their web site is not the best source of BBQ information.

If you get out your calculator ("Math is hard!") you will also see that the per pound pricing is now higher for the larger cuts. I sort of suspect it's just a poorly concealed price increase. Thoughts?
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hmmm...interesting...this from SRF website...

BBQ Collection
The sport of competitive barbecue is rapidly growing in popularity across America. From regional circuits to national invitationals, SNAKE RIVER FARMS products have become well-known staples for achieving success with the most critical judges. Competitive teams spend countless hours perfecting their signature recipes and SNAKE RIVER FARMS products are relied upon for their consistency, flavor, juiciness, and incredible marbling.
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

from what i understand, the larger the brisket, the older the animal, i.e. tougher meat.

however, an 8# brisket might not have enough meat for you to be able to select a superb 6-10 slices for a comp.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

I use a 10 pounder and 14 pounder both from wal mart or my local grocery they come from the same company

Unread 01-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Bigger is often better. And least that what I heard in class.

Size is not always a result of age. Different breeds grow to different heights and weights and shapes.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

gotcha.

thanks ford.

either way, i try not go under say 10#'s or over say 15#'s to keep things within parameters where i can be consistent.

beyond that tho, and more importantly, i look for flex, marbleing, grain, evenness of the flat, etc., etc.

oh and direction the point curves.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote