The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #121
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside Smoker View Post
Here's the one we used a few years ago:
https://www.longislandferry.com/default.aspx
Mike, that works! It lets out in New London. When we went to Harpoon we took the Port Jeff to Bridgeport then to 91 and straight up. We took the Cross Sound from Orient when we went to Merrimac for Rock n Ribfest.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #122
deez20
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
No need to stick around for awards. I'm keeping them all.
Unless of course there's a tie, then ill be keeping them.

Chubby Hubby BBQ

WSM
Yoder YS640
Cookshack 008
Mini Big Green Egg
Large Big Green Egg
The Fastest and most accurate Thermapen, the ORANGE Thermapen.
Stoker
deez20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #123
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez20 View Post
Unless of course there's a tie, then ill be keeping them.
Shabam!!! I'm going for the 3x3x3 peat...Three third place Botbbb finishes in three years in three different towns.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #124
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

All the paperwork was signed today. So we are Officially

SmOKin aT ThE MaPLEs
10 Ryerson Ave
Manorville NY

Exit 70, Long Island Expressway. 1/2 mile north of the expressway.

There is 4.5 acres of grass behind there. Patio, Tent, Full outdoor Bar, Etc. Its tagged as a friendly biker bar, but the catering area is for weddings and functions with a strong onsite infrastructure. This site is 8 miles from the holtsville site we had it at last year. We are KCBS Sanctioned and part of the Empire State BBQ Championship Points chase. I will see if we can get NEBS Sanctioning now since we are not tied to a fundraiser, so can now have a grilling event.

Being our The Maples is a BAR and Grill, and the owner is being VERY GRACIOUS, he asks that we encourage all competitors to limit the beer brought to the event and purchase tap beer at the beer trailer that will be IN THE VENUE AMONG THE TEAMS, or...... take a short stroll to the ajacent patio and sit at the outdoor bar, where the band will be playing and gaze out over the duckpond. While you monitor the pits with your remote thermometers. When asked what he expects of us, his response was........HELP HIM SELL BEER.

A stated, since we dont have to have a fundraiser, we will be having a Grilling event on Saturday. I will try to get NEBS Sanctioning. I am not sure if they have the 90 day restriction which we are inside of. WE will tie into a charity in some way and also, Island Harvest will be coming down on Sunday.

Teams will be allowed to vend, but will require your own Board of Health license permit is 85$. The vending fee will be $50 and you keep all profits. Let me know if your interested and I will forward the paperwork.

Spots will be preassigned and a lax 20x20. We have plenty of room. Premiums will be available at 30x30. Next week we will lay out the floor plan. Entry fees are $250 for BBQ, $50 For Grilling and $50 if you want a premium spot. BBQ and grilling fees will go to prize pool minus a small percentage strictly to offset some of the KCBS fees and infrastructure costs. We will be pursuing sponsorship.

The Port Jefferson/Bridgeport Ferry is 20-30 minutes from the site. The Orient Point to New London is about an hour to 1:15.

I take the Port Jefferson ferry to ALL contests in New England or upstate NY, (Even New Paltz). It knocks 90 miles off my trip. Ferry rates for trailers rates go by overall length of car and trailer. My truck and trailer combined is 44 foot and they always have room.

Our host will be creating an ID and visiting us soon.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #125
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
When asked what he expects of us, his response was........HELP HIM SELL BEER.
Now that's a contest objective we can all support
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #126
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Orient to Manorville is only 40 miles or 55 minutes via Sound Avenue. I drive it all the time for work and the some of the contests we have done in New England.
If it's an hour by car, it's 2 hours by motorhome towing a trailer but still sounds doable. I checked, they take motorhomes and even 18 wheels on the ferries.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It's probably not any faster via ferry, with the waiting time and all, but I bet it's a lot more relaxing than driving around.
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #127
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
If it's an hour by car, it's 2 hours by motorhome towing a trailer but still sounds doable. I checked, they take motorhomes and even 18 wheels on the ferries.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It's probably not any faster via ferry, with the waiting time and all, but I bet it's a lot more relaxing than driving around.
The Port Jeff ferry and I think the Orient Point Ferry have Bars aboard. Relax, tip a few and leave the driving to them until you pull in to Long Island.

Stupidity for Dummies

Unread 04-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #128
Smokenstein & monster crew
Full Fledged Farker

The location sounds fantastic, the whole deal sounds great....
Will do on drinking beer..
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]My smoker will eat your WSM for breakfast :becky:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Custom 55 gallon drum(s) smoker that chews wood spits out the embers. (no set it & forget it BBQ stuff for me)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Smokenstein & monster crew is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #129
Smokenstein & monster crew
Full Fledged Farker

Its back
Seems someones there already....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maplescam.jpg (81.4 KB, 128 views)
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]My smoker will eat your WSM for breakfast :becky:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Custom 55 gallon drum(s) smoker that chews wood spits out the embers. (no set it & forget it BBQ stuff for me)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Smokenstein & monster crew is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #130
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokenstien & SmokinBride View Post
Its back
Seems someones there already....
That's awesome! Sacco is already there! In the words of a warlock I know, "duh, losing".
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #131
Smoker'sLoungeBBQ
On the road to being a farker

That is pretty awesome.

Unread 04-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #132
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Shabam!!! I'm going for the 3x3x3 peat...Three third place Botbbb finishes in three years in three different towns.
You don't have to worry Clint, don't even bother. Besides, exit 70 is the end of the world for you. Stay home and rest. The home team Polocks are going to take it this year. We are after all, world famous in Manorville.

Stupidity for Dummies

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #133
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

The ferry is an hour trip across the sound..and will shorten your trip by 50-90 miles. The ride from orient point is a nice drive thru wine country. the one from port jeff is a quick run donw 112 and then 10 minutes on the expressway. 20-30 mins with lights.

but id rather be sitting on the deck throwing frenchfries to the seagulls than sitting on I95 trying to get to the bridge.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #134
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

what about spectators? will this be mostly a private thing or will it be open to the public
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #135
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiedad View Post
what about spectators? will this be mostly a private thing or will it be open to the public
I have already told everybody I know, both of 'em, about this upcoming contest and of course we encourage folks to come out and enjoy themselves.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->