The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #16
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

What a nightmare. Sorry to hear about this Phil. Hope you're able to put something together in this short amount of time.

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]
Backwoods Party named Woody
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 (2x)
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 (2x)
Ugly Drum Smoker named Rusty
[B][COLOR=red]Red[/COLOR][/B] Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]
Anchors Smokeshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #17
MilitantSquatter

That sucks...

Guess I'll be able to go away that weekend instead of coming out of retirement from comps to win the GC

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 03-24-2011 at 10:41 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #18
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Aces View Post
what the f !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and that about summed it up. Not much else i was able to say.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #19
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

wow... sorry to hear about this. how about a winery like martha clara or macari or teaming up with a brewery like blue point and maybe getting something going at shorefront park in patchogue by the bandshell or maybe back at sayville for the summerfest.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #20
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
That sucks...

Guess I'll be able to go away that weekend instead of coming out of retirement from comps to win the GC

dont count on it.. If i have to be an organizer, scotts gonna need help competing.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 03-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #21
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Informed this afternoon: The Suffolk County P.A.L has decided to pull the venue.

We are 13 weeks out.

Unless I can find another venue by April 6, this contest isn't happening.

I HAVE CALLS OUT LOCALLY AND HAVE NOT GIVEN UP YET.

Nothing like advanced warning. I'm open to ideas.
Phil,

Given the situation, as disappointing as it is, I KNOW that you are doing all that you can and want to say THANK YOU!

Why the April 6th deadline though?

I realize that is 3 months from scheduled date, BUT . . . . what about the possibility of moving it back in date closer to its origins in Octoboer if that is what it takes?

I'm just throwing out a possibility, other than the all or nothing scenario of April 6th or no contest.

I am sure that you don't want everyone calling you while you are trying work this out, but If there is anything that you think I or anyone else may be able to do to help, just say the word.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #22
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

On a side note . . .

Why the hell is Poobah the one that we have to hear this from, and not P.A.L.?

They had no problem cashing my check on 03/10, and then just two weeks later bow out?

I respect and thank Phil for telling us as soon as he knew, but he does so much for us and BBQ that he shouldn't have to be the one stuck delivering the bad news that was not his doing.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-25-2011, 09:23 AM   #23
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I bet one reason they pulled the event because every Vendor they over charged last year to come to the event would not return because no one made any money. Vending fees is a huge part of an events success and when you screw vendors and make up numbers, this happens. Nothing to do with the BBQ Brethren, just the the PAL.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #24
Smokin' Aces
On the road to being a farker

You should try and put something together at Nassau Coliseum.... Nice and close to me hahahha
Smokin' Aces is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #25
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
I bet one reason they pulled the event because every Vendor they over charged last year to come to the event would not return because no one made any money. Vending fees is a huge part of an events success and when you screw vendors and make up numbers, this happens. Nothing to do with the BBQ Brethren, just the the PAL.
That was really f'in helpful. If I remember correctly, since u did not pay your contest entry fees(which is independent of vendor fees) and you competed, your fee was significantly reduced at the expense of the prize pool.

Thanks for your input, its really helpful.

And no, your wrong.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 03-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #26
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Acutually I did pay a f'in entry fee. and now owe $400 in fines after my paperwork was lost for the health department by the organizer. really why they cancel the event? must have made too much money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
That was really f'in helpful. If I remember correctly, since u did not pay your contest entry fees(which is independent of vendor fees) and you competed, your fee was significantly reduced at the expense of the prize pool.

Thanks for your input, its really helpful.

And no, your wrong.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 03-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #27
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Phil,

Why the April 6th deadline though?

I realize that is 3 months from scheduled date, BUT . . . . what about the possibility of moving it back in date closer to its origins in Octoboer if that is what it takes?

I'm just throwing out a possibility, other than the all or nothing scenario of April 6th or no contest.

April 6th is the 90 day deadline by KCBS to change dates or venues and retain sanctioning.

If we loose sanctioning due to date change, and find a venue, we will go under BBQ Brethren rules which have been approved by the American Royal for a Qualifer. I have not submitted them to The Jack yet.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 03-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #28
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
Acutually I did pay a f'in entry fee. and now owe $400 in fines after my paperwork was lost for the health department by the organizer. really why they cancel the event? must have made too much money!

um.. no. But irrelevant.

They made alot of money Matt, a whooping $5,000 from the buck a bone fundraiser, and the money went to The PAL Special needs children and Autism. The total take was approx 10k, and the contest costs them 5K in supplies. The rest went to the kids. Sorry u felt screwed and they laughed all the way to the bank.

In a nutshell, Richie(the organizer) is as sick over this as I am and is he is also making calls on our behalf helping to find another venue. It was pulled by the P.A.L Board of Directors and the reasons given were all speculative. It was a shock to him too. Especially since he has already started his efforts to prepare and he had full commitment in January. The carpet was pulled out from under him too.

BTW, if it makes u feel any better, Im out almost grand in advertising and sanctioning fees spent so far. Its sux, but i rationalize it as the costs, and risks associated with a contest.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 03-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #29
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Whatever you say Phil. I am sure the money from the vendors there contributed no money to the profits. Ok, take 200 from the 1k I paid for my spot, there is your entrance fee, so that makes it $800 for the vending spot. I am glad they laughed to the bank, at least someone did. 5k for buck a bone, thats great considering the amount of people there. But I guess when it cost 10k (rough estimate) to make 5k it makes no sense to the PAL board.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Unread 03-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #30
BBQchef33

well, they tried to explain to them.. alot of the costs were one shot investment. (the electrical distribution system and electrician was the bulk of the 5k costs) and now they own it so its not a factor... Same with water distribution. Tee shirts were recouped, etc..

They had major sponsors for this year, and the Long Island Custom Car show was coming down. They also had better commitment from the football, soccer and lacrosse folks to come down, who were expected to be there last year and did not show(that was the missing 10k estimate in the public). It was discovered after the event that they were never notified. That was a lesson learned and the entire PAL membership and support staff was in the mix this time.

This isnt the doing of the PAL support folks and those whop actually did the work. This was done by the suits in the board room. It doesnt seem to be about the money, but about the time invested by the PAL personal. The BOD feels the manpower can be better used elsewhere.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM